Granatoid Robot Project

Brian..

The what? The Granatoid Robot from Fireball XL5 and from Supercar. A Gerry Anderson classic, and my latest 3D project.

Well he was an interesting project while I waited for the Scoops robots to print. The Scoops are all at the assembly/painting/wiring stage so I finally put the Granatoid on the printer. Once more I'm amazed by the technology. The 12" tall robot has a marionette structure but I've glued him firmly so he's free standing. In the TV episode his eyes flicker, so there's a battery in the chest and lights in the head. I painted him chrome - a serious miscalculation because it's the crappiest paint to work with, and silver would have looked very similar.

So here he is. Still plenty of tweaking to do yet but he looks right. The mouth is a modern circuit boad, but I'll print a more traditional 1960s one. The finish needs more work, but I just wanted to see how it would fit together. Will he walk? No bloody chance!

Now, it's time to find out how these sound chips work.

Granatoid 1.JPG

Granatoid 2.JPGGranatoid 3.JPG

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, 001 moon man said:

how did you get the silver finish looks  

Chrome auto spray paint. Awful stuff. It takes days to dry.

Brian

well, you said for me to wait and was it worth the wait....oh yes, It's fantastic...and I really want one now!!!!

Silver paint...go to one of the tool station branches, you know, similar to screwfix. I bought some of their industrial silver spray paint. It's great, dries in about 20 minutes, you can even handle it then. I used it on my Foki and could not believe how good it was. I will send you the order code for it. Again,fantastic job, takes me back in time does that!

Creepy robot! Nozzink zat can shtop zem😂

Teriffic job brian!

good plan to make these old TV and movie robots back alive!!

can't wait for the 3d bassie&adriaan robot:)

Oz, this isn't offered as a production run.  At the moment I just can't make the Granatoid in any sort of quantity. I get pleasure out of building them but I am not geared up to mass production.  If I get organised I'll make a few for collectors. The first print already has a home.

Archived