Chrome: How can I re-chrome my robots?

ROBOHUNTER

I've had some Horikawa fly eyes for years but the eyes and mouths have almost all lost their chrome even though I've taken care of them.    I was fed up with looking at their dull eyes other day so I gave in and painted them silver but it's not a good substitute for the original chrome.   Anyone know of any paint that actually looks like chrome or some other method that can be done to re-chrome them?

Hello robohunter ! Testors makes a paint called "chrome" which is pretty shiny--not quite as shiny as real chrome plating,but much better than silver paint! Also you can but paints from a hobby store called ALCLAD--I think you have to airbrush it on and then you can buff it to a high shine. I would check at a hobby shop as they sell many specialized types of paint for model making--I am thinking of how car models have chromed plastic bumpers---They shoud be able to help you out:biggrin: GOOD LUCK !!!!

I have had great success with krylon chrome paint, but I would also say that electroplating which is the way it was originally done is the best way, there are many companies in most cities that will redo this process and for those with even modest skills it really is a very easy and inexpensive process and on YouTube you can evaluate that for yourself.

Racerxc70

Ideally, these "chrome" paints contain microscopic flecks of metal in suspension; as the paint dries, the metal floats to the surface, essentially plating the surface of the paint with a reflective layer, but it rarely works as well as the chromed paint cap would have you believe. The newer the paint, the better it works, because it is still thin; the longer the spray can sits on the store/warehouse shelves, the paint thickens, and the process is not as successful in application.

I have had some luck with just removing the remaining chrome, or nickel plating off of the metal completely, polish the metal to a high shine and then clear coat with an acrylic spray paint to protect from rust. Looks as good as new.

Thanks guys.   Interesting ideas and I'll probably try them all as I have a few of these robots.   It's hard to recapture that childhood when the robots look dull and rusty unlike the shiny new robots we all remember.

I was looking into the same thing some time ago, and came across some small brush plating kits. It's a small-scale form of electroplating which looks pretty easy to do, and is not that expensive. Here is an example:

https://www.amazon.com/Plug-Plate®-Copy-Chrome-Electroplating/dp/B009XF0H0G/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1476642628&sr=8-6&keywords=electroplating+brush+plating

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has tried this method. It seems like you would be able to re-chrome parts without even having to remove them from the robot!

Cheers,

Dave

This is important stuff, so sooner or later will show something to chroming and is a good procedure for those who want to keep robots or other ancient objects in good condition as close as possible when out of factory

I have done the electro plating, back on the first alphabots so many years ago, I formed 100 antennas and wanted them plated so gave it a shot, in the end I took them to a plating shop. But the thing is you need a smooth metal surface if you want it to look good, so old robot parts that have lost there chrome normally are not smooth, they are more offten pitted or rusted and that will not plate well. The metal being so thin to start with you can not do much in the way of sanding or filling to make them smooth either. There are several steps if you want a chrome plate, a nickle plate is easyer and looks just as good once buffed.

38 minutes ago, robothut said:

There are several steps if you want a chrome plate, a nickle plate is easyer and looks just as good once buffed.

John, I believe a lot of the early toys were nickel plated, rather than chromed.  I think nickel plating looks better anyway - its a deeper finish and just as shiny.

I found a company in my town called AAA plating that will nickle plate the ears, mouth, collar and two shoulder disks on my Horikawa super Astronaut for about $20, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Archived