Walking NANDO robot project

robothut

Most excellant John.....all 3 are great......the box the remote with lettering and of course Nando. with antenna.....nice touch........well done!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the three NANDO's are finally done, fantastic job again John.

For me, the first one you made is the best one. the one with the wired remote.
the second one with the battery pack is a bit out of proportion and the third one, the wireless one is cool but the i really prefer the full painted face.
and because the original nando mostly ended up on our shelves with not much more than a tube ( read wire ;)  i think the first one is the best one ! :)

I had my doubts if you would be able to make that tiny robot walking with only the small dimensions the robots gives you but you found a cool solution to make it going
even with the turning head, its COOL !

One little comment to the 3D printed front of the body.. i believe there is ONE horizontal line to much in the 3D version... should be one less but correct me if I am wrong 

Marco

On 14 October 2016 at 9:40 PM, robothut said:

I should add that I did not put a ON / OFF switch on the robot. The space was very limited and I feel that batteries should always be removed when your not playing with a toy. ALL batteries can leak !

That's great work John, your a bloomin' genius. I knew you would come up with the goods, you never fail too.  I don't know if you noticed but my Foki robot has no on-off switch for the very reason you mention above, I had the space alright but I would end up leaving the batteries in. Someone had left them inside the metal Foki you built and the terminals had slight corrosion developing. Batteries eh, the life and potential death of a robot,

I can paint the faces or leave that to the new owners. Here is the mechanical head with the raised details painted by my shaky old hands.

DSC02629.jpg

Marco the original robot toy had 1 less chest vent than my 3d printed bot but the original box art has 2 more than the original toy or 1 more than my 3d printed bot. I decided to be in the middle. Also the original box art has the antenna on the head and the toy had it on the back of the body. My Radio control bot has the antenna on the head and I think I will add the fake antenna to the wired remote robots back, also the new raised face features making it easy'er to paint the face on to the wired remote version also. As for what version is best the wired remote or the radio control. well the wired remote is more like the original toy but the radio control is more like the box art work, so that's why I did both versions. The non remote batteries on the back version was just a stepping stone to get too the radio control version. Now for print time it takes about 11 hours to print all the parts for the radio control version, the wire control version has two less parts but then you have to make the wire antenna and wire ears so in the end it has more parts.

DSC02633.jpg

DSC02635.jpg

DSC02631.jpg

DSC02632.jpg

DSC02636.jpg

By attaching the back antenna on the wired remote version near the top of the body I can use jumbo paper clips to make the antenna, a good source of chromed wire. here are two mock up pictures of the prototype wired remote bot with the antenna added.

I located some proper size shipping boxes so have them on order now.

DSC02638.jpg

DSC02637.jpg

Ah ok John, that explains why there is a missing vent line towards the original robot :)
10 printing hours in total is not that bad but it surprises me that its still that amount of hours in that setting.

Because the wired one comes the closest to the original nando, its still my favorite :-)
I sent you a PM about this.

Marco

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I have decided to do a build of 10 mechanical Nando's this year, then take a break. I may do more Nando's next year, who knows. Any way I have 7 or 8 people that have emailed to be on the build list, so there are a few open spots left for the wireless or the wired remote versions.

DSC02659.jpg

Archived