Walking NANDO robot project

robothut

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a picture of the first 3d printed walking Nando robot. I tried to paint on the clown face but the ultra sharpy tip gave out, so I need to buy more new ones and try again.

DSC02593.jpg

The power plant for this 5 inch tall robot is a very small metal gear motor that comes at high price, about $20 bucks from solorbotics in Canada.

DSC02554.jpg

For those that want to see the original Nando in action and a discription of how it works here is my old you tube on that.

So as you can see the wheel ratchets work by shifting the wheels forward and backward. The problem with this on a small robot with very limited leg movement is that most of the leg movement is used to just relocate the wheel so it can latch, very little action is used to move the robot forward and that's why the original Nando robot is such a poor walker. I added a second ratchet latch too each wheel in the form of a BB that can move up and out of the way in one direction and get latched in the other direction, or at the very least help to move the wheel forward so it can latch.

DSC02567.jpg

DSC02568.jpg

DSC02572.jpg

DSC02573.jpg

DSC02556.jpg

The small gear motor fits vertally into the robot body with the power wire going out the bottom. A double cam fits on the motor shaft. The lower cam engages one leg and the upper cam engages the other leg. The upper leg has a slot that engages a head turning cam.

DSC02562.jpg

DSC02555.jpg

DSC02553.jpg

DSC02576.jpg

John, you must have got an extra portion of brains when they were dishing them out.  That double cam mounted vertically is just a jewel. Elegant and economical.  I'm struggling with my first proper walking mechanism and am using the traditional Japanese method. I should start thinking laterally.

The feet are equally simple. I've been fiddling with ratchets and pawls which work but are just so fiddly.

Thanks for a masterclass in design. Rest assured your ideas will be "borrowed". :hail:

Wow

Nice job , surpised you didn't try for the pneumatic propulsion 

add me to the top of this email list ! :cheers:

PS be nice to do water decals for the face even though I'd certainly screw it up :wacko:

Just in case any of you think I just design and print and bam I am done. Well it does not work that way. Here is a picture or the test prints and the 126 files I generated before I got the files I wanted. Its a krazy amount of work to do any of these robot projects. But if I did not love it and get something from it, well trust me I would not do it.

DSC02596.jpg

DSC02597.jpg

DSC02598.jpg

I should add that each part has 3 files so that is really just 42 different part layouts. The 3d cad program saves a file in its format, they you save the file as a STL and if you plan to print it you then run it threw a slicer and save a G code.

Hey John,

I am really impressed by this again. I know how difficult it is to such a robot to walk. Working in the limited space that is given its an amazing job.
Yeah, the test parts... i am kinda familiar with that but that is also the cool thing using 3D printing.. you can do it pretty simple over and over again till its perfect.
how much more difficult these things were when you had to make the parts in metal bending, wood, carving, etc...

very nice job done again ! my compliments.

Marco

Archived