Scoops Robot - Moon Man Without a Brain

Brian..

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JohnnyD, copying existing toy robots does have a massive advantage: they're designed to hold motors and they naturally look right when they move. I'm copying B-Move and pulp robots which have a human inside or are designed with no interest in making them move. There's just enough room in the body for an AAA battery holder. I couldn't fit a motor inside without a substantial increase in size. Perhaps when I've had more experience I'll give it a go.

But I do have some other ideas for this model: I think it has possibilities.

Moon Man Without a Mind. That describes me perfectly at the moment.. Yes, Brady,  I'm busy printing all the little buggers. I was pleasantly surprised at how many of you want one, members and non-members alike. Even my brother wants one.

The body alone takes all night: I start it at about 10pm and it's ready when I wake. Of course I get the odd glitch that spoils a run. Some are at the paint stage. Some are being wired. I can't say I enjoy this part and I've realised I'm not built for this mass production thing. It takes all the printer time and I have other projects just waiting to go.

I find I enjoy the research and CAD design stage, and the first few prints are exciting.  I've ordered a second printer in kit form. That will take a day to build and calibrate, but it's going to be necessary if I want to speed up the production time for future projects. I really want to perfect a walking mechanism.

I will fill all orders, so sit tight, dust a bit of shelf space and it will soon be with you.

Here's a video of the Scoops production line:

Yes, I agree, the fun is in building the first or second one, after that it becomes work. Love Modern times, so many of those machines look like robot heads in the movie.

Yes indeed they are very nice, red and gray colors they combine so well the robot mmmm also want one but do not know when I can buy but it iis another one to my wish list

I love these funky guys😃   

Congrats to you Ranger on acquiring Brian's prototypes!  Wonderful job Brian. 👍 They would look amazing on anyone's shelf🚀

• 1 month later...

The joy of unboxing, once more, this afternoon.

image.jpeg

Starts a bit weard, Moon Man emerging from the styrofoam fillup.

image.jpeg

And then, bigger than expected, dark and dangerous.

image.jpeg

Thank you so much, Brian. Even more amazing your product, holding it in my hands and seeing the details up close as e.g. the thighs to hip bone connection, the ears with pattern, the miniature switch, the lights working and colour highlights' design perfect!

My SCOOPS Robot finally showed up! However, there must have been turbulence over the ocean, as it arrived with some assembly required; the right forearm was in the bottom of the box, but a few drops of Super Glue, and it was right as rain. A flick of the switch, and it lit up like a candle! A great first outing there Brian, I can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Archived