Scoops Robot - Moon Man Without a Brain

Brian..

While waiting for some bits for the Aztec Mummy Robot I started to work on the design for the Scoops Robot. It's based on a classic pulp cover from the 1930s. This is a static, poseable robot but I will add some lighting to give it a soul. Here is the first piece off the printer and I'm more than pleased with the results. The mouth part and ears came out badly, the arms aren't long enough and I just can't get rivets onto curves, so there's some way to go. There'll be a light in the helmet, behind the eyes and in that chest circle. It's 8" (20cm) tall but the size can easily be altered. The body separates into two parts, the top swivels on the bottom - so there's plenty of room inside for batteries.

IMG_3801.JPG

IMG_3803.JPG

IMG_3804.JPG

And here's the comic cover:

scoops robot.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hobby shops sell hexagonal styrene plastic rod that you can slice and glue onto another plastic or metal surface. It is time consuming but it looks just like bolt heads!  Modelers use it a lot to add detail to tanks and ship models----Just an idea !!!:biggrin:   P.S.---I would be interested in buying one of your early prototypes of the scoops robot too--If you want to sell one--I figured I could light it myself---Thanks!  Rich

Brian, how can I put this?

I WANT ONE!!

Yeah, that works. Honestly, I don't care if it is just static, a dummy SCOOPS robot is better than no SCOOPS robot!

Give me a week or two to finalise the "factory" files gents. If I can get a predictable system then we're in business. I leave the machine running overnight and sometimes return to a big pile of spaghetti. You are dealing with a ham-fisted operator here, not with a John or Marco.

I would love to be able to make this walk but just look at those thin, skeletal legs. I would have to scale it all up and make some compromises with the shape. That would stop it being a Scoops robot and turn it into some sort of steam punk affair. That's an idea, though.

Robodude, the post-production rivet is a good option. I have a little bag of beautiful copper rivets, but you would need the patience of Job to put them on the guy.

This would be a good design for the CLAW foot type step walkers, two little posts added to the sides of the feet and a crank drive on the legs up inside the body and have motion !

On 20. September 2016 at 3:49 PM, Brian.. said:

the arms aren't long enough

? You might instead check if the waist/body is too long/high.

But impressive repro already!

Archived