Scoops Robot - Moon Man Without a Brain

Brian..

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, Brian, the legs on the illustration, are a bit rounder and meatier than those on the prototype, so I think you have some room to work with there.

MOON MAN WITHOUT A BRAIN: 1934.

No political jokes, please - that is this guy's official name.

Metallic Graphite and Metallic Red.

scoo.jpg

• Brian.. changed the title to Scoops Robot - Moon Man Without a Brain

Looks sharp, Brian, where are you going with this design? Are you still going to try adding rivets? Will it be available to the rest of us, or are you keeping all to yourself?

Can't manage the rivets, yet, Brady. :breakit:  I'm OK at rivets on a flat surface but not on anything that curves in all directions.

I'm just not geared up to the effortless production that you see from John but I will do my best. I will combine parts to reduce the number of print runs, but you're still looking at 24 hours printing time. It is worth the wait, though. It's one of the cutest robots I've seen, but I am biased.

Looks fantastic ! have you tried emailing the Design spark mechanical people, they should be able to stear you in the right direction for placing a shape on a complex curve.

The rivets would be very small and I'm abandoning the idea of recreating them in the printing stage. The model I'll build for myself will have rivets added by hand: I think tiny points of viscous paint applied with a stylus will give the result I want, old school but effective. I think that Meshmixer may be the way to go. It allows easier design of robots with organic shapes.

I will ask Designspark for advice, though, John.

looking very nice brian. you say you're going to install lighting?

can't wait to see the finished masterpiece.

Robot Polisher: the red one has lights in the helmet, the head and in the chest. Trouble is, it's a really tight squeeze for the battery holder, switch (little switches extend well inside - the Japanese switches are SO much more compact) and the big chest LED so I've ordered some smaller switches and have hollowed out the inside a little more. I'm taking my time with the internals so that I can learn the dos and don'ts for the next project. Little things like anchors to stop the wiring being pulled out or snug-fitting parts for easy dismantling.

I now have a box: nothing fancy but it seems right.

Marco, I've concluded that for my purposes good a quality paint finish is far superior to bare plastic, though bare plastic is better for recreating the classic robot toy look.

Goodness me, the house is getting like a factory.

IMG_3809.JPG

Archived