Ray Gun Collectors!

Andyman

Thanks Andy. But actually, anyone can look up (and print!) the patents for anything. Just go to the government's patent website (which escapes me at the moment -- do a google search and it'll come up) and punch in the correct patent number. Sometimes tracking down the right object can be tricky (as certain patents apply to mechanisms, while others apply to something's actual design), but once you dig up what you're looking for, it doesn't take much to then print out the document.

These things appear on ebay all the time.

Technically, isn't illegal to sell these ?

I was under the impression that US patents records are

public documents, owned by the public... <_<

Well... ostensibly, they could sell the service of hunting down and printing up the documents. The price covers the time, effort, and materials (paper...). (Not that I think it's worth it, I'm just saying they could claim that.) That's if it's illegal, and honestly, I don't know whether it is or isn't. I'd be curious, though...

Ah well, it was only a good intention. Somebody gave me the link and I thought I would pass it on. I obviously didn't dwell too much on how easy it is to get one through other means.

Truth is, anyone with photoshop knowledge could just print out the sample at the web site and remove ""sample". ;)

Carry on.

Hi Guys, an interesting topic. I spent all morning yesterday trying to find my way around the US patent site. Take a tip from me, brush up on your Boolean functions if you intend searching this data base.

First problem I found was that an AOL browser won't work In this case you have to use Internet Explorer which is always a pain in itself!

Then to access vintage items you need the patent number. Eg I then input D51,748 for a well known Buck Rogers gun and obtained a vehicle patent. Infact I never found any old ray guns and general searches didn't help either. Tip in for searching for ray guns you input ray AND gun.

However finding Stars War items is easy perhaps because not many scientific patents are called Yoda!

Cheers

HW-K

What I discovered when looking for certain patents is that you need to search in the right areas of the site, and navigation can be a bit confusing. Certain guns were DESIGN patents -- looking in the wrong areas pulls up various mechanical patents, etc. Nikola Tesla actually sussed it out... Sadly, I don't remember exactly what we did to lay our hands on a Pyrotomic Disintegrator patent -- perhaps Dr. Tesla would care to fill in the blanks for us?

That would be useful. Well worth the effort of keep trying.

Another thought do we have any Japanese Alphadromers? Just wondering if there was a Japanese version of a patent office up and running in the 1950's. I drool just thinking about the bot mechanisms there that we might find

HW-K

Archived