ATOMIC CAR

Phil R

I bought this strange car recently. It 's 4-12" inches, made of slush metal(pot metal), and has rubber wheels. The guy told me it may be Manoil or Barclay. I found it on photo search but the links led to Ebay and I couldn't find any information. Does anyone know anything about it(Joe, help). At any rate, it makes an odd addition to my space car collection. 

P8110003-003.JPG

P8110003-002.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Nice!   
I've seen it sold as both Manoil and Barclay before, and I've seen similarly designed Atomic Gas trucks that are certainly Barclay.   My donut would be on Barclay.
She is a beauty - kudos!

• 4 months later...

Hi Phil - did you ever learn more about this car?

I was digging into some info on a couple of slush cars & ran across this Atomic car.  

http://www.slushtoycars.com/Slush_Toy_Cars/Exhibition_Louwman_museum,_Den_Haag_2015.html

The above is a link to an exhibition last summer in the Netherlands.   I tried to link to just the photo, but it was only a thumbnail.

Yours is in a few shots - grouped in what (I think) is a miscellaneous section.  

One of the pics (about midway down) shows your car & a placard that lists BEST TOY & NOVELTY FACTORY, FUTURISTIC, MANOIL, TOMMY TOY (?), MID-WEST METAL NOVELTY MFG, & SAVOYE PEWTER TOY CO.  

I tried digging a bit with those headings & couldn't find anything more with your specific car.   Regardless, I think it rules out my thought of it being Barclay.

The good news is that there is an email link for more info - worth a shot if you are still searching for info.

On 8/12/2016 at 1:59 PM, Phil R said:

I bought this strange car recently. It 's 4-12" inches, made of slush metal(pot metal), and has rubber wheels. The guy told me it may be Manoil or Barclay. I found it on photo search but the links led to Ebay and I couldn't find any information. Does anyone know anything about it(Joe, help). At any rate, it makes an odd addition to my space car collection. 

bump for Phil - "Astro Mfg" might also be a thread to tug on... 

Thanks, Kirk. I see that there is another car similar to mine. It's amazing how innovative  the designs of some of these slush vehicles were then, over 80 years ago.

Archived