DO IT YOURSELF (DIY) Roboter 703-D

marco

Now that the first 6 roboters 703-D has been build and shipped I invested a lot of work on the section about the building of the Roboter.
I had some requests before if it would be possible to build this roboter 703-D by yourself and that got me thinking again.

I never made a DIY kit of any robot and to do so, gave me again an extra week of work to figure this out.
I came up with a solution that made it possible to build this robot by yourself.
Not only cool to have this robot on your shelves but even cooler to build it by yourself so here we go :)

Now I dont want to talk about orders or prices here on the board so you can find all that information on my website http://vintagespacetoys.com
or contact me on: boogo.nl@gmail.com

Today I collected and finished all the parts and documentation for this DIY Roboter 703-D
The time it takes me to build this robot is about a week but having that said, I do a lot of other things in between when building so I think if you focus

It can be done in 2-3 days if you fully work on the robot :-)

John will be the first one who will build up this DIY kit of Roboter 703-D ( Serial: 7/50) , very cool John, can not wait to see the progress :)
He also found some Bi-Metal bulbs that could fit into the roboters head so the electronics could be skipped ! :)
John had some old flashlights lying around that he used for previous projects and inside is a 3 volt bimetal bulb that, we think, could be the correct ones.
I have to look now if I can find more of these old flashlights, will be a hard job I guess but who knows...who knows..
IF I can find more of these, the future kits and roboters can be equiped with them, but... more about this later of course.
The final result will be exactly the same: BLINKING EYES ;) ! YEah....

I made a 4 pages long instruction/building manual with about all the details you need to know, how to drill, cut, adjust etc etc..
A sort of step by step manual, the steps that I have to go through when I build up this robot. 

In the pictures you see ALL the parts you need to build up this roboter by yourself, all that is included in the kit, the manual and the parts.

have all a great weekend and let the building begin !!!! :-)

Marco

DSC_0783.JPG

DSC_0785.JPG

DSC_0153.JPG

I think it is a great idea to produce this Robot in kit form and great that you have run with the idea Marco.

I am looking forward to seeing John's endeavours  with the build and hope that he documents it for all of us to see.

Fast forward 50 years and i wonder if this Robot would be worth more left in kit form.

Personally i would have to build as that is where the challenge and enjoyment lies:thumbs:

I remember when I did the first AlphaBot project years ago in kit form. Its a lot of work trying to write instructions for some thing like this. The problem is trying to write the instructions from a person's point of view that has not been involved in the design. I think in the end I did videos of the build steps, they are probably still up on you tube some place. So once I get the kit I will share what I learn from a persons point of view that was not involved in the design and add to what Marco provides as instructions "just in case its helpful for any of you that want to build one also". I will not be able to build it in a day or two as I have robot projects of my own that have too be taken care of, as you all know. Thank you Marco for making this robot available in a kit form. I know its has taken alot of time to add this step.

Magnificent work Marco, your abilities astound a simple mortal such as myself.  Incredible kit for sure for those who are that mechanically inclined.  

As a collector of many things:  Monster models, Corgi, Dinky, Husky, vintage cameras etc. I feel personally I get more satisfaction from building the stuff than just sitting on it for the value.  Case in point:  Luminators Aurora monsters, I had 2 of them stored since 1990 for 'investment'.  Bought for $4 new and now can be had for $10 so one evening I built both of them within 1/2 hour and I love them built, more fun than the box sitting there for decades on end.  That's just me and that's what I've been involved with lately is building stuff that's been sitting too long undone and also creating my own visions of subjects that never were.  

John and Marco, I've never seen such incredible projects as from you two.  You are always amazing us as with your custom 'bots John, even visitors to our home who haven't the slightest interest in sci-fi or robots or whatever can't stop commenting on your creations.

:breakit:

Fantastic to built this robot!! Your best robot and project up to now patrón! Enjoy your holiday its deserved:)

Really cool.

Can't wait to see what John does with it---I automatically assume it will have more actions and breath fire :biggrin: haha

Maybe all you Dromers can keep an eye out for the Dollar store 3 in 1 flash light that has the small flasher bulb in it. You might find one at a yard sale or boot sale. here are pictures of the unit. Inside the red plastic area there is a thermal flashing lamp. Its non standard in size in that it is tubular but shorter that standard tube indicator lamps and its smaller in diameter. The bulbs in the unit screw in so they are easy to remove and the screw sockets might be good to use as well. a few years back here on Alpohadrome we had a fun DIY based on building robots from stuff you can buy at a dollar store and that was when I bought a hand full of any thing that lit or made a sound or had a motor in it. What I did not use back then went in to a box in my robots parts room. So if you can locate any of these cheep china lights let Marco and I know.

DSC02146.jpg

Well, the first DIY kits left the building....I really can not wait to see the building of them.
Thanks guys for all the kind words and yes, it was quite a job to come up with this.
In the meantime I have made the second update on the building manual and made some adjustments to it.

Its cool that John found the bimetal bulbs in the flashlight. I spent some hours of search for them yesterday but no luck so far.
but I think there must be other similar kind of flashlights that have those bimetal bulbs installed in them.
Also the "normal" bulbs I use in the Roboter 703-D are not common so if you by accident run into them, plz let me now, my stock is going down quickly now .

I had to make a checklist for all the parts to ad to the kit just to make sure not to forget any part.
My son helped me to check yesterday and its amazing how you can overlook things :-) but all the DIY kits are complete and checked, doublechecked :)

If you have any additional questions about the building, always feel free to contact me...

Happy Building, gotta do some serious 3D printing again now to keep on track......

Marco

Archived