Devil's advocate. 3D robot value

chilli

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, robert said:

What?? Chilli gave up a Pug? I'll bet it arrives in a pot.

lol!  I would love it!

We need to remember that the term "vintage" is a point of view word; to most of us, a vintage robot would be 50's-60's, to some it would be 70's-80's, depending on when you were born. Alphadrome is a site for all collectors of robots and space toys, the beauty is that it's not restricted. Tin toys, much like old cars, are classic, but fewer and fewer can afford them, and fewer of these great tins are available to collect. If we restrict this site to tin only, it ignores the amazing plastic toys that will become tomorrow's classics, and Alphadrome will become a dinosaur; with a select few aging collectors discussing the same tin toys. Would you turn down a Dux Astroman? Most would say no, but it's not a tin robot, so is it less desireable or classic? Some of the largest private collections showcased here are made up of 50% plastic, or more, and their collections are astounding.

*Sigh*...see, this is what happens when you forget to take your meds.

• Brian.. changed the title to Devil's advocate. 3D robot value

Perhaps I should just say that the 50s 60s style just is my thing, after that the lack of build quality, plastic gears just leaves me hollow, I like the Ummph feel and smell that old robts have , and to be honest, old does not mean expensive as long as it is not the rare end of the scale. I have had some slightly newer robots, like the tulip head but got rid. Kind of like a remake of a classic B&W film, too many bells and whistles. To each his own, but still I think I have dug out alot of extra buried info on the older stuff, even as a newbie. The Dux is also the exception that makes the rule, correct use of plastic outside, fantastic German mech on the inside , superior build to any Japanese robot of the time. I dont mind plastic but old plastic.I still have 5 Dux and 4 Rangers. Also 2 lilliputs, which were far beyond my childhood As long as we dont get into the starwars collections!!!

cheers Chilli

Funny, not too sure why I am ranting on, the actual post was agreeing that the new 3d are superb but what would be the best for a return 50 years on. A collection of Robothuts or one Marco. Not based  on the reason for the purchase at the moment, more as a kid would you have expected a Mr atomic  to be worth many more times that a horikawa 50 years on.

cheers Chilli

Archived