Devil's advocate. 3D robot value

chilli

Now, here's an interesting thought as to what is the best investment.

You can buy 3d printed plastic robots from John and Marco. John's interesting and weird,

Marco's ,accurate and  fantastic replica's

John's reasonably priced , interesting and weird but less complicated.

So, best investment for the future, buy 10 of John's or 1 of Marco's.

We know the price of 50 year old robots, but what will the future buyers see of the price of robots of this year.

It does not effect me as my choice is pre 60's.

Cheers Chilli

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I purchase these 3D printed robots (as I have from both John and Marco) I am buying them for the current "WOW" factor, without giving much thought to the future value. I love John's robots and yes they are very reasonably priced. That's why I have six of John's robots. I think Marco's Roboter is fantastic, I love the accuracy and appreciate all of the time and energy and enthusiasm that went into it's production but I just can't bring myself to spend that much money for one. Sorry, just my opinion. I may regret that at some future point, but for now I'd rather spend that kind of money on a truly vintage piece.

I live in the now. I buy John's robots because they are so damn cool..."now". Eventually everything will be made on a Star Trek replicator but that isn't "now" now, is it?

I'm with the NOW factor as is Kelly with John's robots, we have many and are thrilled by what they are and where they came from...and their amazing actions for a reasonable price generally not near the price (each) of a vintage piece which, like Robert I REALLY appreciate.  They're not going anywhere anyway, as Robert will attest.  Any 'dromer here who knows me well and especially those who's former vintage toys are on my/our shelves, that it's like the tune 'Hotel California' ...they can check out (of their cabinet) any time they like, but they can never leave. :woohoo:And I'm fine with that!

OP, a bit inflammatory, don't you think? Both of these guys pour their hearts into these projects and, in my opinion, offer them at fair prices, considering that the robots are hand-made and involve crazy amounts of time for research, development, and actual printing. Profit is certainly not motivating the builders, nor is return on investment motivating the buyers. It seems that passion is the driving force in this new phase of robot building and collecting.

Profit clearly isn't the motive, there are far easier ways of making a buck.  We're lucky that knowledgeable robot collectors have the skills to build robots for all pockets.

As for investment value, it's never been my motive. If I had your crystal ball, Chilli, I'd be down at the bookies.

I buy what gives me pleasure at prices that suit me, and which my wife will never ever know.

I never buy a robot or any other toy as a monetary investment, I just buy whatever it is because I like it. One thing is though I only buy the old stuff at a price knowing that if I later decide to sell I'll hopefully get my money back, I'm a collector just now, and rarely sell. Regarding my recent buys from John, I never give a thought as to what they might be worth in the future, just pleased to own them. 

Unfortunately, cost is a factor in my collecting, but I do not begrudge the seller's prices. Had I a more fluid income, I'd be the first in line for Marco's creations (a few of which I already own), and it would be well worth every penny. However, on my current budget, it's not in the cards, but that's my problem, not his. I think both Marco and John are on the cutting edge of a new era in limited edition robots, and I wish them both the best of luck in all their future endeavors.

I think the creations John comes up with are fantastic and inspired. Without a doubt he is incredibly gifted and what he produces will withstand the test of time, similar to Henk's creations.

2 hours ago, RoboCopy said:

I think the creations John comes up with are fantastic and inspired. Without a doubt he is incredibly gifted and what he produces will withstand the test of time, similar to Henk's creations.

Agreed. I love the fact that he thinks up new designs and builds the entire toy from scratch and that you never know what he will come up with next!  I have 13 of Johns robots now and they are all brilliantly produced in both form and function and for the price they just cannnot be beat. The Foki robot i recently got that John made is an absolute gem, as good as one could ever hope for. (thanks chilli!). Marco's roboter is really great, there is no denying that and if money was no object i would like to have one on my shelves for sure. I Know, the money i have spent on John's robots would have bought me a roboter but i am more than happy with the rigg robots in my cabinets. My other half is ok with me spending $130 every month (i buy other stuff too!) but if she knew i was buying a 'new' robot for $1500, my future of robot collecting would very soon be shortened! :wacko: .

My house is paid for in 12 months time :woohoo: then I may have more to spend (my wife is talking of crazy things like new doors, windows, home improvements etc:pigsfly:). 

I reckon we have the feedback here from the genuine collectors, but I think there are a lot out there that bought to get on the gravy train. maybe I am just stirring it up ( yes, I am!!!). the new stuff ain't my thing. But it is amazing, just not what i wanted from a site that told me about my 50s 60s tin robots. I would like the old alphadrome back.

cheers Chilli

:pfft:

Ha!  I know what your saying matey, I just like some of the new stuff as well as the old though. You will have to try and stop reading the 3D printed bots section and look for the vintage stuff when it appears.:cheers:

Devils' advocates will always have a place!

Football or football?

Tin or plastic?

Ale or stout?

Dux or  Mr. Merc?

Pepsi or coke?

Scotch or vodka?  

Nope, alway a good single malt - no matter how good a potato was used...

cheers all!

I for one enjoy all that this site has to offer.  Some bits more than others, but, such is life.

And I will add - I was a late entrant to the space toy hobby.  I was not far, being in the tin race car stuff... (how was it that I'd missed all of this!.?)

Anyway, my point is this - this entire group has offered more help, tips, congrats & comaraderie in several short months than I'd ever experienced in all of the other groups.

For a relative beginner, it has been a huge help.

You all are a bunch of peaches.  Salud!

2 hours ago, chilli said:

I reckon we have the feedback here from the genuine collectors, but I think there are a lot out there that bought to get on the gravy train. maybe I am just stirring it up ( yes, I am!!!). the new stuff ain't my thing. But it is amazing, just not what i wanted from a site that told me about my 50s 60s tin robots. I would like the old alphadrome back.

cheers Chilli

and, back to the 60's.

One of the newest toys in the cabinet - the yellow / green eyed Atom robot...
I think I recall seeing a red mouthed bugger pass through ebay a few months ago - I can't find the listing now...  
Sumthin to hunt for - unless the red was not a real variant, but a little home jobbie?

DSC04827.JPG

Archived