Devil's advocate. 3D robot value

chilli

For me it has always been about collecting the 50s and 60s originals but i do enjoy reading about the processes and procedures to create the 3d printed Robots. 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Martian Gil said:

and, back to the 60's.

One of the newest toys in the cabinet - the yellow / green eyed Atom robot...
I think I recall seeing a red mouthed bugger pass through ebay a few months ago - I can't find the listing now...  
Sumthin to hunt for - unless the red was not a real variant, but a little home jobbie?

DSC04827.JPG

Fantastic Atom robots Kirk!:thumbs:

Thanks Robert!  

I dig this pair... but if you really need to trade that sorry old Train away, I'll send these down to ya!   ;)

Nice atom robots!The red mouth version is original for sure!! So 1 more to go (if you don't collect all the different ear color versions:)

and to get back to the topic chilli, the new stuff is not my cup of tea either, for me all ends after 1974 but boy do I like the roboter on my shelves, one of the best plastic robots ever made. A original is just 101% out of reach, and this is soooo close:)

Ok, let's look at it this way; Alphadrome is like a TV set -  there are lots of different things to see, but if you don't like the show, don't watch it, change the channel, but don't try to disconnect the TV.

1 hour ago, martijn said:

Nice atom robots!The red mouth version is original for sure!! So 1 more to go (if you don't collect all the different ear color versions:)

and to get back to the topic chilli, the new stuff is not my cup of tea either, for me all ends after 1974 but boy do I like the roboter on my shelves, one of the best plastic robots ever made. A original is just 101% out of reach, and this is soooo close:)

I thought so - I did a little reading last night.  I read your input and Duxastrogirls' input... another to search for!
Cheers  

Thanks & right back 'atcha, Chilli!
But... a nice vodka, or a fine single malt?   That's the real question!

for me, I have a taste for the scotch.  But, I haven't tried any new labels since the robot thing... maybe I need to see someone.

30 minutes ago, chilli said:

I think I preferred watching in black and white.

Oh, nice robots M.G.

cheers Chilli

Cheeky.

I'm not really trying to be a Luddite, the new robots are amazing, but I guess my concern is, when anyone new drops on to the site, there is an awful lot about new robots and sometimes difficult to see that the original site was about vintage robots.

I think a split of discussion, new or vintage  should be easier to see from the first page.

I had not been on for a while and when I came back the robot and general pages had been setup and i didnt have a clue what i was looking at.

We all know where to look now but I think it should perhaps be a bit more separated.

cheers Chilli

The changes I made were mainly designed to make exactly this separation of old and new. Look at Robot Talk topics that are more than a week old  (anything after page 1) -  they ALL have vintage content. That's about 4,000 topics out of 4,025.

Experience has shown me that most visitors want a single point of reference: Robot Talk. After a post has had a good airing there it dies down, drops off the front page and then gets filed for future reference. The Tips and Tricks section is proof that this can work; just look at the wealth of information that was previously buried on the site.

Don't be concerned, Chilli, about new visitors thinking this is a modern robot site. They don't.

Love your pots, by the way. There's even room for them on the site.  :thumbs:

What, I get my own section!!!!!:thumbs:

cheers Chilli

Yes, I understand the principle Brian but it does not always seem logical to people like myself that dont follow normal reasonable logical rules. The same reason why there are Macs and PC's

arty farty types cannot follow the logic of a PC and need the graphics of a mac. I.E. a big arrow to say "it is over there"

Here be new stuff, there be dragons...errr vintage stuff.

cheers Chilli

as one of the newer and more obsessive frea... I mean robot & space toy enthusiasts - let me say that the site does work.
I know (fairly well?) how to navigate and search.   And I get a pretty good flavor of what & where is appropriate & when...

The history left on this site is what makes me appreciate all of the flavors of what my collection is turning into.  My group seems to evolve weekly.

I think most new folks likely get here - as I did - by researching a specific old toy.   From there, they get to go nuts.  The info is fantastic - 

I don't think there are folks that look up Alphadrome just for kicks, see "robot talk" - peruse John & Marcos' posts and think that this is what it's about.  If anything, they'd realize that this is a deep pool - and that there is still life in the subject matter.

- how about this - perhaps a little "welcome / this is how the site works" tab?    

And there could be a spot / thread for really "green" questions that don't get buried in all of the every day chatter.  

There have been times where I've dropped a couple questions that reg users just blow past because of the boring and redundant nature.

Yes, there is a plethora of info to search - but if there was a landing spot for newbies, guidance might be easier to get - and give them a welcome feeling.

Chilli - THE PUG IS ON THIS CONTINENT!  

Cheers!

Archived