Masudaya Space Commando repair... yep, another post from that guy.

Martian Gil

Good morning all, 

Sorry for all of the posts - I'm juggling quite a few things at the moment, but robots keep getting the best of me.

Late into the night, I worked on a non functioning Masudaya Space Commando - really a nice looking example.  

He had little pigtails from original wiring hanging out - but I kept getting odd little ground outs when I connected power to him.
BUT, I could feel the motor giving a little kick before stubbornly refusing to run.  

He has some age related wear - and he'd been apart before, so I dove in. 

Inside, I found that the old wiring was cracked and not in good shape.
I replaced the pigtail with wiring from an old Linemar remote police car - then I messed around with trying to get him unlocked.

And I messed some more.   It was really quite stubborn.

Eventually, I disconnected the bulb - I'm not sure it is still alive, but I wanted to be safe - and wired in another batt.

It clicked - harder, but still no go.   
I left him wired like that for about 10 mins while I worked on another item.

When I came back, the housing was slightly warm to the touch - and there was an "old" electric motor smell.   

So, I took the extra batt out - reconnected the power and kept poking at it.

After a couple of mins, he came back to life!   POW!  Strong as can be.   No light, but all else is great.

Questions for the experts;

1.  after I disconnect power from this fine little robot - he will not restart without prodding.  

Once I do, he is strong and ready to roam some new planet.   But, that isn't ideal.  I can't be taking him apart each time I want to see him in action.

Is it just a matter of running him enough that he'll operate properly?
Or should I be conditioning the motor with lubed electrical contact cleaner?    

I imagine I was smelling old gummed up stuff when I had an extra batt wired in.

2. his helmet bulb is dead.   I have various old cars and other toys that I could scavenge from - so I might even have the right type...

But, can I get to it safely?    

If you have read any of my other repair type posts, I'm always a little hesitant to go beyond the point of no return.  If I can get him running and have no light... 'eh, I'd be ok with that - he looks sharp.   
But, a light would be ideal - there is a tipping point for me though.   I don't want to mess up his face and helmet.

Thanks for reading - thanks for any tips.

Cheers!

Here is a little vid link to him running.

https://youtu.be/xsDgPF4fu4M

Gil 

I would put a spot of lube using the red straw at each spinning point of each gear, the fact that you have to prod it to start tells me that the gears need lube, it only takes a small amount of gum or corrosion to keep the mechanism from working as it should. 

I would

spray the the whole mechanism gearbox and all with electrical contact cleaner let it dry then spot lube the spinning points and any parts that moves or rubs using the red straw so that there isn't too much excess lube sloshing around. It's a good idea to clean the motor with the same electrical contact cleaner but not lubricated cleaner as that kind will attract dirt and lint. You said that you removed the helmet bulb, I can't speak on that because I couldn't get a clear enough view from the video

Good luck

Racerxc70 - just the guy I was going to message!  

I've just been reading about your thoughts on the electrical contact cleaner.

I think when I get back to it this evening that I will clean it up and get it lubed.

His legs are still attached, so I sprayed some of my contact cleaner on a couple junky litho'd cars to check what it would do if I get any on the surface - I hope not to, but you never know.
So, am I picturing this right - I'll wrap his arms and legs then spray the bejeebers out of the gear box with the contact cleaner. 

To the point where it is dripping off?   

Then hit the lube points.   Your preferred lube?   Silicone? 

When he was warmed up & running last night, he carried quite an old grease smell - it wouldn't surprise me if his motor is gunked up?

I also did take his head apart - I am fairly certain that his bulb is dead.    I have no idea about replacing that.

One thing at a time, I suppose.

Thanks for the assist!

DSC04102.JPG

DSC04100.JPG

Yes use a fair amount of E contact cleaner , spray it outside in the open air

I use WD40 rust preventative with the built in nozzle stick that folds down for the lube points use as little as possible or spray some in a small bowl and using a toothpick or small instrument drop it into place, remember oil attracts dirt, keep the lube away from the electrical parts. 

As for the bulb, I have questions and some possible answers

are you sure it's dead? The wire from the bottom is the hot wire ( the red round paper is an insulator) and because it appears to screwed into the head that would be the ground, try unscrewing the bulb and testing it, if it really is dead you can replace it with a similar bulb and paint it red with a permanent marker (Sharpie)

Thanks Roboto, I have that link saved now.  

Racer - I wasn't able to get at this guy tonight, so hopefully tomorrow.  

I'm not certain about the bulb - I tested for continuity and got the fail... BUT - the hot lead actually wiggles in the insulator seat.   When I took the head apart, I found some veerrry old (with fiber) electric tape - so, someone had fiddled with it years ago.

I'm not sure if the lead should wriggle - I tried testing it a few ways.  

I also tried to unscrew (lightly) the bulb - no go & I didn't want to put a lot of torque to it.

It actually looks like there might be tabs on the inside of the light rim?  If that's the case, I don't think I'm going to take the bulb out.

Getting into these guys is quite cool.  

Super cool that the motor is stamped KKK in a diamond (Nihon Boeki) - I just sold a fantastic old battery op Nihon Boeki open wheel race car last week.   I was pretty surprised to see that stamp.   

Cheers all!

The bulb must be held in place by two cups, the bulb is put inside the holding cup the edge of the bulb or lip holds it in place then it is put in place from inside the helmet then the tabs are folded on the outside of the helmet, after that the cover cup is put in place to hide the first cups tabs and its tabs are folded on the inside of the helmet.

and no the lead shouldn't wiggle

and you can buy a new bulb and paint it with a red Sharpie 

while you have the helmet off wipe the inside with  Rustmort 

If you want to know more about Rustmort search for my posts about it

Don't get Rustmort on the gears or motor it will cause them the seize up (bind together, stick to each other)

It turns out that I had to do some serious surgery.   Or hacking... 

Today, when I got back to him - same thing power on, "click"... prod & push the gears a bit and away he would go...
I listened to him awhile - let him get warm & loose.   I thought he sounded a little rough.   

I cut the power.   Re-start.  No go, like normal.   
But, no amount of prodding would get him started again.  I was thinking that perhaps he was mechanically binding somehow - I checked everything that I thought I could - and became confident that it was something wrong with the motor.

I decided that I wanted to risk it and get to the point.   I may have went about it in an unconventional way, but I managed to get the motor out and dis-assembled.   True purists might not want to look at these pics - I apologize.

VIOLA!   One of the arms of the magnet had broken off and was grinding against the brushes.   It explained why I could sometimes get it going, but it kept locking up when shut down.

Super cleaned everything, applied some crazy glue - clamped it up... ate a turkey sandwich.

I re-assembled - used some odd soldering tactics with some copper coated steel to re-strengthen the gearbox / motor housing.   Look away now, if you have a weak stomach.

Re-wired, put him back together, attached a very dorky remote (I will find something a bit more appealing) & blamo!

Space Commando at your service.   No helmet light repair yet.  - I chose to not risk it today.    

Cheers and thanks for all of the help!

DSC04160.JPG

DSC04150.JPG

DSC04155.JPG

DSC04158.JPG

Thanks Racerxc70!  

I tell you - it was a gut wrenching time, but I'm super happy with the results.

Archived