The Building of a Roboter 703-D HeRe We GO....

marco

Just before the weekend starts... Part 10 :-)

The movement of the arms was a part of the building that i skipped till the end when I was constructing the first prototypes.
When I had finally found the perfect balance for the walking of the robot it was time to think about how to attach the arms to the body and... how to get them going.
I used the technique that most horikawa, and i am sure many others use.
The arm is driven by a rod attached directly to the legs. a knob on this rod, drives the arms forward and backwards.
Our Japanese robots have a simple but clever mechanism that avoids damage to the mechanism when a child moves the arms in an other direction.
I used that technique also for the arms of Roboter 703-D

a small plate is attached to the arm and is hold in place using a spring.
The screw is static and can not move but the plate can move free but with some tension from the spring. this allows the arm to go with the movement of the leg but if you turn it to an other direction, it will not damage the mechanism.
Figuring out how to solve this problem and how to make it costed me some serious time but building it as an easy job and it works perfect.

Ok, enough robot talk for this week..
Next week more in the next update of the Building of Roboter 703-D

Have all a GREAT weekend 

Marco

DSC_0416.JPG

DSC_0417.JPG

DSC_0418.JPG

Part 11:  The building of Roboters 703-D`s Head.

In the first pictures in part one you can see the front part of the head with still all the constructing materials attached. After removal of this construction the front and backpart of the head must be prepared to fit.
I therefore use the neck and one ear to make sure front and back are in one line and than I can drill the holes for the 4 screws that hold the head together.
The PLA plastic is so strong that you can "tap" the screws in the backpart of the head if you make the correct size of holes. Took me quite some time to find the correct screw that were long enough 
To go trough the front part so they can be "tapped" into the backpart.

The eyes are glued in place from the inside along with the 2 SMD cards which go in the center between the eyes.
The female "banana plugs" to at the back and have the exact proportion and fitting just like the original roboter.
In these plugs the " on / off swich " ( The antenna ) can be plugged later to power the blinking eyes.

In the pictures below you see the head with the screws that attach both parts and all the parts that are needed to complete the head of the Roboter.

Marco

DSC_0436.JPG

DSC_0437.JPG

DSC_0438.JPG

DSC_0439.JPG

DSC_0440.JPG

Part 12: Roboter 703-D`s Head 

Man, it has been fu)&*(^% hot overhere in Holland for the past 3 days. temp over 35 degrees Celcius are not the best to work in.

In the next part you can see the completed head with the eyes installed along with the 3 smd cards that provide the blinking action.
Both the smd cards are glued together and installed between the eyes.
From there goes a connection that will be attached to the internal connections for the on / off switch, the red coil at the back of the head

only when this coil is fully plugged in, the eyes will blink.

The ears and the neckpiece have to be installed and than the head can be screwed together with the 4 screws.

Marco

DSC_0447.JPG

DSC_0448.JPG

Marco, it never ceases to amaze me that you had to "invent" all these bits, and arrangement of parts in order to bring this toy to life. I'm tired just reading this.  :blush:

3 hours ago, Tinplate6 said:

Marco, it never ceases to amaze me that you had to "invent" all these bits, and arrangement of parts in order to bring this toy to life. I'm tired just reading this.  :blush:

Thanks Brady :)

Its cool to do, its fun and its a learning curve :)
I just never realized it would be such a roller coaster.. the scanning, printing not to mention but making a windup robot from "scratch " was something i never did.
Still some parts of the process to come... so more reading :)

Cheers
Marco

Part 13:  The building of Roboter 703-D

Now the head is build and ready its time to attach the back of the head to the main body and make the connections for the eyes and the battery that will be installed in the center of the body.
I use connectors to make assembly easier and this allows also a later battery change.
The neckpiece and the back of the head are attached to the backpart of the main body.
After this again I need to do a balance check because every gram added to the robot will make a difference in the balance.
when the robot passes this test, its time to add the arms and to install the battery in the center of the body.

More next week.
Have a great weekend

Marco

DSC_0487.JPG

DSC_0488.JPG

DSC_0489.JPG

DSC_0490.JPG

DSC_0491.JPG

DSC_0493.JPG

DSC_0494.JPG

I have been holding off commenting until Marco got close to the end of this "building the roboter 703 so that I would not have to post over and over how much I like this robot project. Just a great job Marco ! A true labor of love ! I fall into the group that would love to have one but can not afford it, It took me 6 months to get the $350.00 together to by my first junker 3d printer with out pissing off the wife. Any way I have enjoyed the build thread very much and the quality of your work is top notch on this project !

16 hours ago, robothut said:

I have been holding off commenting until Marco got close to the end of this "building the roboter 703 so that I would not have to post over and over how much I like this robot project. Just a great job Marco ! A true labor of love ! I fall into the group that would love to have one but can not afford it, It took me 6 months to get the $350.00 together to by my first junker 3d printer with out pissing off the wife. Any way I have enjoyed the build thread very much and the quality of your work is top notch on this project !

Well, Thank you for your kind words John, appreciated.

The complete topic brought me and some others to the idea to bring a couple of these on the market as a Do It Yourself Kit.
I think when you follow these instructions and pictures you will be able to build this robot yourself.

Ok, almost there.... Part 14 of the Building of Roboter 703-D

One of the final steps is to install the battery in the center of the body and install the arms.
Now the arms is not much more than putting them in place and they will settle by themselves.
The battery has a plug which makes it easier to replace. Its hold in place just by a tie rip.
Replacing is an easy job as the front panel can be removed by 2 screws.

In the pictures you see the complete installation of the mechanism, the arms and the battery that powers the blinking eyes.
In the next part i will focus on the red coil antenna, the finishing of the robot with the serial number and the making of the box and inserts...

Marco

DSC_0495.JPG

DSC_0496.JPG

DSC_0497.JPG

DSC_0498.JPG

DSC_0499.JPG

DSC_0500.JPG

DSC_0501.JPG

DSC_0502.JPG

Well, just before the final parts of this "Building of a Roboter 703-D will be concluded, a secundary road will be followed.

I had some serious requests from people that want to build this robot by themselves. 
In short that would mean you have to start with all the seperate printed 3D parts and all the other parts you need and start building this robot.
easy said but i think it would not be that easy though.

Therefore i started to build the next roboter in the series, i believe number #6 and made new pictures of this process and started to write down every single step you have to take to complete this robot by yourself.
I think this way it can be done.   Half way finished with that, many pics and almost 3 pages with text for the "instruction manual "
The only way i can make this happen is to start building one again and write down the most important things for every step you need to do

At this moment there are enough people interested to get this going so I started to work this out, lots of work again but can be handy for myself also if I have to build one up in a year again or so.

The very first do it yourself Roboter will go to the US where it will be build up by nobody less than our own John Rigg :-)
Very cool John and I really can not wait to hear your experience with this build and see the result, the roboter in the Hut.
First I have to finish the last printed parts, collect ALL the parts you need and finish the instruction manual. will need some days to complete it all but i think its kinda cool.

More to come guys .... 

CHeers
Marco

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to seeing this fellow walking, Marco. The amount of work is remarkable. I can see the challenges that you've set yourself copying such an intricate vintage robot. John has the luxury of designing his own, a massive advantage.

I wonder if you could use CAD to simplify the process. The head, for example, seems to be almost a solid that you have to Dremel hollow. The mouth could be a separate piece, glued on. Just a thought from someone who is looking at 3D printing with naïve optimism.

Hey Brian,

Thanks and well yes, it was a lot of work and indeed to copy exactly such a robot is a total different challenge than creating one from scratch.
There is no room for changes and you have to deal with the parts and dimensions that are given.
I also made a DIY version for those who want to build this one by themselves at a more affordable price.
John got his one already and I guess it is keeping him busy for some days :)    we will see the results and his experience of course.

All the parts are created by a 3D scanner. Its always possible to draw them in 3D but it takes time, lots of time but its possible.
You can come close, real close but you can never capture the vintage final result that you can capture with a 3D scanner.
The head by the way, and i think that is what you saw, is filled with infill.  That structure is there to make sure all the parts on the outside will be printed correctly.
that infill can be removed easily and takes 2 minutes or so.
and yes, the mouth can be drawn manually and glued on later, all is possible and there are more roads that lead to Rome ! :)
I have choosen the 3D scanning because its the closest you can come to the original parts.
Drawing them means you have to do consessions one way or another and when drawn these parts and printed... they will come close but will not look like the original parts.

The roboters leg for example has many different angles and both legs are not identical, just to mention something.
only to draw one leg exactly will be quite a job.. but like i said.. more roads load to rome brian  ;)

Oh and here is a video of the robot in walking action.   

Marco

Yes my kit has arrived but with Foki bots to ship and a bad tooth ache since last Wed night and Sunday was a big family reunion day. So that day was shot.  I just have not gotten too it. Today is the first chance I have to get in to see a dentist ! and will leave in about 1 hour for that. Then when I get home will start the fun of the Roboter build. I think I will start my own thread on the build . So stay tuned.

Archived