The Building of a Roboter 703-D HeRe We GO....

marco

Yesterday I completed the building of the second Roboter 703-D, serial No. #2
I had a lot of questions about this project over the past weeks and I thought it would be a good idea to give everybody an insight on the building of this robot, the ins- and outs, material used and the way the robot is build.

So.. today i will start building up serial #3 and I will try to make some pictures throughout the process.
Today: part one ! :)

In the picture i added, i gathered all the materials i need to build up Roboter 703-D
It does not really look like the final product... Duh  !-) but this is all i need to start the building of Roboter 703-D  Serial #3 :-)
the ONLY things not pictured yet are the 3D printer ( Ultimaker 2+, tools and... ahumm.. some time :-)

Drop your questions, remarks, information etc here in this topic if you want. I think its always cool to talk about robots, the technique and the way they are build...

So here we goooooooo !

Marco

DSC_0275.JPG

Part two:

The whole process starts of course with making detailed 3D scans of all the body parts. I did this some months ago already when i had the original roboter 700 here in the caves.
I dont have currently any pictures of that 3D scanning process but i will will make some pictures and short movies of the next 3D scanning process to give you an idea about this.
OK...when you have digitalized all the individual parts of the robot, its time to print them.
The total printing time to make all the parts for roboter 703-D is aprox. 62 hours.  

Here you see all the 3D printed parts that are needed to build up the robot. the picture shows all the parts the way they came off the printer with all the support material still attached. 
Most of this material can be removed pretty easily, just be tearing it off. with a sharp knife you have to remove the detailed parts.

One of the legs in the picture is a completed one, hollowed out and the driving construction already attached. the other leg is how it comes directly from the printer and has to be hollowed out manually.
Making them hollow directly in the software did not gave the perfect result, its difficult to alter these so called " solids ".

In the next part i will show in more detail the construction of the legs and the hollowed out parts.

Marco

DSC_0299.JPG

3 hours ago, Maloo said:

Thanks for taking the time Marco.

Very interesting and informative. 

Thank you, its my pleasure to share this. I find it always interesting myself to read this and follow this from others so i thought, now its my turn to share this with you guys here on Alphadrome ! :)

Ok... part 3: 

The 3D printed legs are "digitally" closed on top and bottom. This is caused by the scanning process. the total mesh, the file has to be a complete closed file so everthing the scanner can not " see " will be filled automaticly by the 3D scanning software.
This "rubbish " can be taken away digitally by meshmixer for example but it alters the structure of the "walls" of the legs so i decided to print them with the "rubbish " on the top and bottom and remove that afterwards.

Also this is tricky because one mistake with the dremel and the leg ( read 6 hours of printing ) is lost.
It takes me about 2-3 hours to cut away the material in the legs to make them hollow on top and bottom. this comes pretty close to the mm by the way.

Here are some pictures of the legs, shown when the come from the printer and after the material is cut away.

More tomorrow :)

Marco

DSC_0276.JPG

DSC_0277.JPG

19 hours ago, astrogonza said:

cool deal , thanks for sharing .

You are welcome :-) !

Today part 4:

Once the legs have been made hollow, its time to add the structure to the legs. These parts are made in 123D Design ( a free program by the way to draw your own structures in 3D and export them to .STL to make them ready to slice and print them )
The structure that is added decide the leg movement and the distance that the legs move forward and backward during walking.
Took me quite some time to develop these and that resulted in many test parts before i found the correct angle to let the mechanism rods slide in the structure.
I had to make a mold to make sure every structure is added in exactly the same position and hight so that the robots legs are exactly the same hight.

Here are some pictures of the pieces of the structure and the process of glueing them in the legs.

Marco

DSC_0278.JPG

DSC_0279.JPG

DSC_0280.JPG

DSC_0282.JPG

DSC_0283.JPG

I hope everybody had a great weekend,

It was finally a bit of summer this weekend overhere in Holland so I spent most of my weekend at the seaside :)
made some "Robot sandsculptures " ( not really :) but wanted to :) 

Ok, back in the dutch caves to continue the building of Roboter 703-D  serial #3.
Today part 5: The feet construction.

The feet are build out of 14 individual parts. I use the wheelbase mechanism of the green monster of metal house. This base fits exactly into the foot of the Roboter and give the robot enough balance.
The driving rod that goes through the leg was made in several variations before i found the correct setting. This is rod "1" and that seems to give the best balance to the robot. I used it in my final prototype and also on the first 2 I build
the setting seems to be ok with the holes in the rod.
The rod can be clicked in the base that is attached to the tin base in which the wheels are placed.
Than glued together.

The result are 2 perfect balanced feet. :)

In part 6 of the building of roboter 703-D I will show the mechanism and the changes i made to it to have it fit into the body.

More to come... back to work now.....

Marco

DSC_0301.JPG

DSC_0312.JPG

DSC_0313.JPG

DSC_0314.JPG

DSC_0315.JPG

DSC_0316.JPG

DSC_0317.JPG

In part 7 of "Building a Roboter 703-D" its time to alter the mechanism and to make it fit into the robots body.

when I started to build the first prototype months ago, It took me maybe 2 weeks to come up with a solution to power the robot.
My plan was to make it clockwork operated and I still remember Gernot telling me it would NOT be possible to make this robot going with a clockwork mechanism... and   he was almost right about that.
I tried several mechanisms to get the robot going. My first idea was to make it battery operated and pinwalking but i could not find a fitting mechanism that i could adjust to fit into the relative small area of the body.

than i tried several windup mechanisms but none of the ones i used and tried could be used.
Than, when i was working to build gosstavo robots, my eye fell on the mechanism of a sparky robot, that was used for gosstavo and.... BINGO ! :)
with some changes it would fit really perfectly in the body .. as if the mechanism was almost made for the roboter.
Because i use the feet mechanism of the metal house monster, I had also spare parts of that robots mechanism and I was able to slow down the clockwork enough with the gears and spring from that robot

to alter the sparky mechanism. Cutting away some material of the body of the clockwork was than enough to have it fit inside the roboter body... a really perfect fit as i will show in the next part.

Further in the pics you see the body parts, front and back I have used the original contact points to have the body parts fit perfectly to eachother. Its not very well visable in the pics but on 4 points there are male / female contact points that makes sure the

front and back are fitting perfectly.

More in the next update... 

Marco

DSC_0320.JPG

DSC_0321.JPG

DSC_0323.JPG

DSC_0324.JPG

DSC_0325.JPG

DSC_0326.JPG

DSC_0327.JPG

DSC_0328.JPG

DSC_0329.JPG

DSC_0330.JPG

1 hour ago, Martian Gil said:

Tremendous!   Thank-you for the documetation and walk through.   Very imressive

Its my pleasure ! :)

Part 8: In the next pictures you can see the clockwork mechanism fitted into the body of Roboter 703-D. The mechanism fits like if it was made for this robot and the axels are exactly at the correct place
with only 2 spacers on the main axel, the legs are positioned perfectly into the original holes of the body.
The mechanism is, just like the original mechanism for this robot by the way, to the backpart of the body with only 2 screws.
the frontpart will also be attached with only 2 screws, again, just like its done on the original roboter. I made a structure that will be added later to the mechanism so that the frontpanel can be attached with the 2 screws.

The only adjustment i had to make is to the body. the position of the key is slightly higher. in the area below the key the serial number for the robot will be added later and will be visable there inside the body, hidden away but its there ;)

Ok, next update will be later today or even tomorrow... depending on the progress i make today in the Dutch Caves :)

Cheers
Marco

DSC_0371.JPG

DSC_0372.JPG

Marco, I'm already saving this in-detail-documentation to go with my #1 serial piece of ROBOTER 703-D.

Don't give it all away too quickly. It is entertaining stuff.

I have also just added more pics to give an impression of the ready serial object there:

21 hours ago, Lunik said:

Marco, I'm already saving this in-detail-documentation to go with my #1 serial piece of ROBOTER 703-D.

Don't give it all away too quickly. It is entertaining stuff.

I have also just added more pics to give an impression of the ready serial object there:

Hey Klaus,

Good to see you are back home, I really hope you had a good vacation here in Holland. It was really nice to have you here in the Caves for the handing over of the first Roboter 703-D.

Today part 9 of the building.

When the structure is glued to the legs using the mold i made and showed earlier, its time for maybe the biggest challenge of the making of Roboter 703-D.. the position of the 2 holes on the front of each leg.
These must be at exactly 0.6 mm horizontal and vertical from the edges of the leg. in the first pictures you will see the golden pin that goes through these holes.  The position must be really exact because only a half mm difference
will cause a failure and result in a crooked leg. The robot will tend forward or backwards than and even the position of the foot wont be correct if these holes are not exactly drilled.

Every leg takes me quite some time to get these holes at the exact place. 
Once the holes are drilled its time to attach the legs to the feet and the both completed leg contructions can be added to the mechanism for a first test to see if the position is 100 % horizontal.
The robot is ready for its first steps now :)....

Marco

DSC_0373.JPG

DSC_0374.JPG

DSC_0375.JPG

DSC_0380.JPG

DSC_0381.JPG

DSC_0382.JPG

DSC_0383.JPG

DSC_0384.JPG

DSC_0385.JPG

DSC_0386.JPG

Part 10: Building of Roboter 703-D.

When the balance of the mechanism towards the legs is set, its time to add the back and the front panel. 
The backpart of the body is attached with 2 screws to the mechanism. I use the original holes and the same screws to attach the backpart.
The frontpanel can be "clicked " in the backpart with the "pins" i made on 4 positions. Its a tiny male / female connection which keeps the body parts in place.
Later a construction will be added to the mechanism to attach the front part, also with 2 screws.

Again I have to test the robot if its able to walk with the weight of the body.

First, its time to make the arms and create the mechanism to the arms so they can swing but wont break when touched.
therefore i use a fixes screw with a spring.  I will show this in the next update, part 11.

Marco

DSC_0408.JPG

DSC_0409.JPG

DSC_0410.JPG

DSC_0411.JPG

DSC_0412.JPG

DSC_0413.JPG

DSC_0414.JPG

DSC_0415.JPG

4 hours ago, Tinplate6 said:

Fascinating, Marco...but you might want to hire some help. :biggrin:

Well... why do you think I am building all these robots ! :) .....to help me :-)
But.. if you want brady... you could come over and help me a bit overhere, I am sure it would be fun  ! :)

Its late now here in Holland... time to get some sleep....dreaming about robots, roboters, parts, screws, springszzzzzzzz :-)

Cheers
Marco

Archived