What the FOKI !!!!!!

chilli

I have been on tender hooks for the last month hoping to get my greasy little hands on this beauty.

foki J.R. front.jpg

I noticed it on ebay from a seller in Singapore and thought , "I like the Foki robot, but it doesn't do anything but pass a current though a bulb as part of an old Argentinian board game"

But not this one, I noticed it had an antenna on the back, hmmm, thats not original fitting, perhaps it was a prototype for something or other. Anyhow informed the seller it was not an original Foki and got a deal sorted.foki J.R. back.jpg

It took a bit of digging ( remember I am only a youngster and not been on Alphadrome long!!!) but eventually found it had been sold on ebay in about 2011 as a Brazilian robot, but no other description.

Digging a bit further and it turns out it is a John Rigg one of a kind special, taking John 2 weeks work. Have a look here

Pretty cool ehhh!!! A pin walking Foki, a Foki that actually does something, yea!!

It is missing its original controller but thats no big problem, if John has any suggestions  as how to match up a controller to the crystal on the receiver that would be great. I would like to fix up a retro style receiver that would suit the robot.

Nice one John, great bit of work.

cheers Chilli

foki J.R. front 1.jpg

foki J.R. 3:4.jpg

foki J.R. feet.jpg

jaggerbot and Foki.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks all, looks like it was lost soon after John made it

Not the only thing winging its way to the UK from Raffles land ehh RPHR!!!!!

cheers

Chilli

I think the picture of the bot with the remote back when I built it might be the best help in finding the same type remote toy. It was most likly  one of the thumb tip size TANKs, you know the ones that charge by being connected to the transmiter. They are very cheep so you might have to buy a few.Or you could remove the reciever and just have it run when you turn it ON.

Thanks John, I have a small dragon fly and transmiter, which is the same sort of charge and use design, that should work ok.

Really pleased to have found it , it was a great job.

cheers

Chilli

Nice find  chilli.  This would be a good candidate for a 3D printed version John?  I would certainly buy one.:thumbs:

Cool stuff, Chilli but I am not following the story here. Who did John make this for and who did you buy it from? Is it the same person? If not, how did they end up with it?

BTW-I love the design on this one. Congrats on your score!

Hi,

sorry, it was a bit of a ramble.

I spotted it on ebay about 5 weeks ago. Realized it was not an original Foki and contacted the seller to tell them they were not selling a vintage robot, and made them an offer.

I eventually worked out the history .

It was originally made by John Rigg on the above link in 2006.

Next it turned up on ebay in 2013 http://www.antiquesnavigator.com/d-1499703/rare-brazil-vintage-robot-tin-toy.html

It was sold as a Brazilian robot with no other information and no remote. It looks like between John selling it and the 2013 ebay appearance all knowledge of it had been lost.

Then it turned up on ebay being sold by a Singapore seller a month ago, and then it ended up with me in Blighty.

Cheers

Chilli

But the question remains...who did John sell it to? I remember his original thread talking about building it (I have a comment in there) but at the time John didn't have a buyer. John, do you remember who you sold it to?

Archived