Robot Commando J.R. project and contest !

robothut

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, I have worked up the numbers. It takes 45 hours to print the parts for 1 commando bot, the servos do cost more but there are only 5 servos total the other bots have had 7 servo recently. So I think the price will be $135.00 and what ever shipping comes too for your location. And if the art work contest does get a second winner then there are now enough junk parts to glues a second scrap bot together, since I have been testing different printing set ups and some brown plastic and some purple plastic. If Marcy does do some artwork once she gets home and finds some extra time them you can have your choice of what box art you want. Right now we have some really nice artwork from Ken. So if this bot is your cup of tea let me know.

Nice one, John! I like the new mask, but I think the louvered mouth grille is more impressive, personally.

1 hour ago, Tinplate6 said:

Nice one, John! I like the new mask, but I think the louvered mouth grille is more impressive, personally.

I'm with Brady on this.

Sorry the mouth stays as is, the design is locked in. The boxes arrived they are a smidg smaller than I thought, kind of tight at the shoulders. Kens artwork fits the side of the box better and thats a good way to display the box as it takes less space. But if Marcy does do artwork then it could go on the lid, that way having both artworks on the same box.

Here is my Commando jr and box. Oh and since the boxes are shaped differently that means shipping boxes will have to be changed, so I really do not know what shipping will be until I ship one. I think it will  effect the over seas shipments the most since I had that box down to minimum size to just skate under the next jump in shipping costs.

DSC02101.jpg

The box art is great, as always Ken, but it shows the prototype, not the final Production model...just sayin'.  But then again, most toy boxes did anyway.  :blush:

Here is a picture of the two junk parts bots I glued together. The main reason for showing the picture is the BROWN and the PURPLE plastic that I was testing out , not for this project but just to see what it looks like when printed. The junk bot with the blue body has the first test base that I printed as it has no battery box area in the bottom, the blue body top was a test to see what would happen if I printed the part upside down with the supports on the out side. Not good as the supports leave way to much clean up on the shoulders, so even though it would save time to print that way it would take longer to clean up.

DSC02103.jpg

So I plan to make cardboard inserts for the Commando boxes to provide some extra space. I would not want the shoulder servos or printed parts to get damaged in shipping. You can remove the cardboard inserts for display. Here is the test mock up.

DSC02107.jpg

DSC02109.jpg

On 7/6/2016 at 7:54 PM, robothut said:

Sorry the mouth stays as is, the design is locked in. The boxes arrived they are a smidg smaller than I thought, kind of tight at the shoulders. Kens artwork fits the side of the box better and thats a good way to display the box as it takes less space. But if Marcy does do artwork then it could go on the lid, that way having both artworks on the same box.

Here is my Commando jr and box. Oh and since the boxes are shaped differently that means shipping boxes will have to be changed, so I really do not know what shipping will be until I ship one. I think it will  effect the over seas shipments the most since I had that box down to minimum size to just skate under the next jump in shipping costs.

DSC02101.jpg

luckyelephant.jpg

Archived