Robot Commando J.R. project and contest !

robothut

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Claw hands & the functions look fine as you have them , probably best of all the projects so far

I think a box that mimics the original with maybe a few custom touched would be cool 

you also have the model version box to crib some art from 

good idea Oz. i think that would work just fine for the box art. no need to work too hard on that one John.

Yes now we just need some one to do it. I have even offered up the test 3d prints and still no artwork. Just ordered up some boxes, The robot is just different enough that I can not use the same boxes as the other bots dang it. The new sky blue PLA arrived yesterday so did the test print of the finnal lower body files. They seem OK, took 12 hours to print that part with a "raft". When you have a part to print that has supports then you use a Raft "large flat area of plastic is laied down first for all the supports to stick too" . This adds alot of build time too the part. So I will try printing the part with out a raft and see if the supports do OK as this will reduce the print time. But first I need to test print the upper body part. I am changing it by cutting out the eye and mouth area, that way those parts can be printed in red plastic for the eye mask and silver for the mouth. We will see how that goes. Oh and the new sky blue PLA is just slightly darker than the "glow in the dark" blue I used on the working prototype bot.  But the camera with flash did not show the new color very well.

DSC02077.jpg

Nice one, Ken! I love the aggressive charging nature of it.

That's a different style choice for you, too. I love it.

Well Ken... I have to agree with Andy on this one... totally different style for you, i like this one ! Well done, my favorite so far for this project !

Ok been playing around with making the eye mask part and the mouth part separate parts. Seemed like a good idea until I printed the body parts with the new opening's. It lease a very small fill part top and middle, about 1 mm thick so kind of touch and go as to not breaking off these parts when removing the body parts from the printer bed. But this way the eye mask can be printed in red plastic, the black eyes are painted and the mouth can be printed in any color then sprayed silver. Also played around with trying to reduce the print time for the upper body. tried printing as one part, tried upside down and in the end I was back to where I started printing it in a left and right part with lots of supports. I used the "tree" type supports as they print faster than linear supports and as you can see in the picture they just snap out after the print is done.

DSC02084.jpg

DSC02094.jpg

DSC02085.jpg

DSC02080.jpg

Oh and here is a live stream with two You Tube 3d printer guys, one just got the chance to test the Poly smooth plastic. The stuff works ! can't wait for them to start selling it to the rest of the world ! need to use up my PLA as this stuff will be the only way to go. unless they charge so much for it that no one can afford to buy it.

Archived