Robot Commando J.R. project and contest !

robothut

My thoughts on the project right now is to build them in the original colors like the working prototype. Here are some pictures of the drive wheel parts and a picture that shows the difference in size of the mini 9g servos I have been using for the walking robots compared to what is called a standard size servo that I am using for the drive wheels. The drive wheels have 4 parts, the hub cap the main wheel , the rubber O ring "tire" and the servo "horn" mount. 4 screws hold it all together and a 5th screw holds the assembled unit to the servo. The servo is a 360 degree rotation type. That means that I can program it to run in any direction and control the speed as well. This type of servo does cost more, in small quantities I think I can get them for about $10 bucks each and that seems like a good deal for what you get.

DSC02064.jpg

DSC02062.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The arm servos and the head blaster servo are new also. They are just a little smaller than the blue 9g servos I use for the arms in the walking robots but they are more powerful. And so they cost more also. But I think I can get them in $4 too $5 buck range in quantities. in the picture the blue servo is the one I have been using in the walking robots and the smaller black one is the faster more powerful one that I am using in this project.

DSC02065.jpg

Best one yet, Mr. Rigg!

*steps on soapbox* if anyone is keeping track of where our future is headed, Jon has just replaced a whole toy industry of jobs with one 3D printer. Not to politicize this but, when any public leader, I don't care what side of the aisle they're from, promises to bring jobs back, either they are naive or lying through their teeth, it is an empty promise. I really dig this new technology but I hope we can adjust to this new reality as painlessly as possible. *gets off soapbox*

I have always been a 1 man band as you know Andyman , but now I am reaching out and trying to employ more workers , need box art, need new project ideas. Need a book keeper. Yesterday the printers were turned off all day "first time in a long time". Why you ask, well I do not have any orders for anything in the queue right now, Yes there have been requests buried in different threads asking for bots but to dig them out is to much like work for me, so I built up everything that was submited as a single order page with all infor on that 1 page. Now That does not mean that I took a day off. No No, its getting hot around here and I have a wood shed that has to be filled before next whinter, The hotter it gets the harder it is to do work outside. so I have been out chain sawing and splitting and stacking wood. The way my body hurts this will take about a month to do, if I live threw it.

Yes, John...but you still need less workers than were Mattel to do this project. Well they wouldn't because demand would be too low. I guess my point is...we live in interesting times. :cheers:

Big brother is watching over Commando Jr. You can see how I just touched on the same design ideas with copying them to the letter. Sort of a caricature of Robot Commando. I wonder if the little stickers on the chest would look good on the little guy ?

DSC02066.jpg

DSC02067.jpg

Yes,I think the sticker would look fine but it's great either way. Great actions too John, thanks for the video and photos.:thumbs:

About 1 hour ago I was wondering what the Photon Cannon arms might look like if they had Thunder type claws on them. So designed some real quick and printed them. So let me know what you think.

DSC02071.jpg

DSC02070.jpg

DSC02072.jpg

yes, i like the hands, but personally i think it looks better without…can the hands come with the robot and be a push-on optional? i do think the bot rocks either way.

The wife said the first ones  look like forks, like the robot is coming for her dinner. So I just made up these Claw shaped hands.

DSC02075.jpg

DSC02074.jpg

DSC02076.jpg

I would go with the second hands John.
Nice creation and cool razor sharp action.

One comment though..... the look and actions are cool but... the sound the robot makes is terrible and first thing that cross my mind a that of a cheap chinese 5 dollar robot ... I would change the sound John for sure, the robot does not need that ( my opinion )

Marco

Archived