Air Ray Gun By Budson, non Flash Gordon Version?

Brian..

The Budson Flash Gordon Air Ray Gun has been dated to 1948. But looking through the papers I've noticed that an earlier version,  one without the Flash Gordon association, was available in November 1947. There are several references to this gun in late 1947, none of which mention Flash Gordon. It's only in June 1948 that Flash Gordon is associated with the gun.

The_Daily_Courier_Fri__Nov_21__1947_.jpg

Here's another 1947 sighting:

The_Fresno_Bee_The_Republican_Sun__Dec_21__1947_.jpg

Brian, that's news to me; I've never seen one without the Flash Gordon stickers. Perhaps they are just badly worded ads?

Possibly, Brady, but there are many of these ads and not a single mention of the big selling point, Flash Gordon. Then in Summer 1948 every ad mentions Flash, or shows the Flash version box.

air ray.jpg

Oh, yes, I see now. In that case, my guess is that they weren't selling that well, and the Flash tie-in was an obvious marketing ploy.

I suspect Brian's theory is correct.

I'll bet Budson had plenty of these Air Ray Guns in inventory.

air ray gun fg 2.JPG

Once the licensing agreement was signed, the fastest, cheapest way to turn them into Flash Gordon Air Ray Guns was to add the portrait decal to the front.

When that supply was depleted, Budson re-tooled and added the "Flash Gordon" lettering to the sides.

air ray gun fg.JPG

Two good points, gents. Here's confirmation that Budson only started using the Flash Gordon connection in June 1948.

budson.jpg

Hmmm .... I keep finding more. Looks like the gun took off in 1948 as a result of the Flash association. There's info on the designer, Thomas Shelton. The gun's original name was the "Airway" - probably a mis-hearing of "Air Ray".

bud july 1948.jpg

I wonder if the word "Airway" in that article was a typo. Maybe, it should have been "Air Ray". That is what is stamped on the side of the gun:

budson air ray cu.jpg

Here's Brady's original post I "borrowed" some of these images from:

Now, the only thing left to do is find the box for the original version (non-Flash Gordon) Air Ray Gun.

Here's the best indication of that pre-Flash Gordon version. It's an ad from December 1947.

Notice that there are two odd looking alien targets.

Medford_Mail_Tribune_Tue__Dec_16__1947_.jpg

Nice find, Brian.

Here's one more piece of the puzzle...

budson article.jpg

The unnamed Torrance, California plant can be found on this end flap seal:

end flap.jpg

LONGREN AIRCRAFT COMPANY

2576 West Carson Street - Torrance, California

The rest of the seal / warranty:

end flap 2a.jpg

Great find on that ad Brian. I think it's really cool that an aircraft designer who was well versed in aerodynamics invented this gun.

As seen in this recently ended listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flash-Gordon-Air-Ray-Gun-with-Box-and-Target-Picture-of-Dale-Vintage-Toy-/331843204112?hash=item4d43657410%3Ag%3A4ewAAOSwlHRXImw5&nma=true&si=WkS%2Bh%2FVZu5X0JhSL%2FD4TZG%2FFwOM%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

is this single sheet target / instructions:

budson target front.jpg

Looks like it was designed to be separated at the perforations into six strips to allow

more movement when hit by the air ray. Can't imagine many of these survived.

budson target back.jpg

I wonder if a similar sheet was included with the N.F.G. (non-Flash Gordon) version?

Or, did it really come with those two alien targets?

One more point to be mentioned about the NFG but I'm waiting for the clock to run out. Stay tuned...

Here's a recently ended listing that shows, I believe, the NFG version:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1940s-FLASH-GORDON-SPACE-AIR-RAY-GUN-BUDSON-MFG-/311637950673?hash=item488f11c0d1%3Ag%3AAUsAAOSw-4BXZZfO&nma=true&si=WkS%2Bh%2FVZu5X0JhSL%2FD4TZG%2FFwOM%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I don't see the Flash Gordon decal on the front:

budson original 4.jpg

Instead of the side mounted Budson company information, it appears to be stamped into the base of the "barrel":

budson original 3.jpg

Close-up:

budson original.jpg

Finally, note how the rear portion is joined together. There are no rivets, unlike in later production pieces:

budson original 2.jpg

Congrats to the winner of this auction piece.

Now, who has the box!