• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zesko

• robothut

• dratomic

• robert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I remember the mold-o-rama machines from when I was a kid in the Eighties. My grandparents used to take me to some safari park in Florida where you could get one of four or five different animals.

There's also one in the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry that makes a space shuttle out of white wax.

I know some people who collect these things, I'll ask if I can share some of their photos. I'll also ask about robots.

Brady might want to chime in on this, but I BELIEVE the Miller Space Alien figures were made of the same hard wax, and I think there was some connection to one of the companies involved in the later machines. But I might be wrong... I do know the aliens were sold already made -- you didn't get them out of a machine.

The wax is quite hard -- almost a brittle plastic. Not the same as wax lips or anything like that. Closer in composition to the wax used by toy makers to sculpt early prototypes. (Though not the same.)

I collect these things. I live near a zoo that always changing out the molds so I get a lot from there. Nothing like that wax smell when they first come out of the hopper. I have a silver one of those space robot mold-a-ramas as well. And I'm pretty sure the Miller figures are of the same stuff.

A very interesting saga. The only wax things I ever saw were the lips and bottles. I could only imagine it would be close to a miracle if ANY survived, being wax, soft or hard. Perhaps Crayola should consider making crayons of wax with different colors to match the different colored Cool Aid flavors inside (another Co. buyout or merger) the bite-off candy eraser ends. ...I hereby claim royalties.. :frustrate::pigsfly:

Yes, all of the Miller Earth Invaders were created with similar machines using melted polyethylene plastic pellets through the injection molded process, but the aliens were "bin" toys, and never offered through the Mold-A-Rama machines to my knowledge. Now that we have that out of the way...who's willing to part with one of those little robots!!??!! :wub::frustrate::blush:

post-656-0-49553600-1397000307_thumb.jpg

In 1972, the unit (or one of the units) at Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry made busts of Abe Lincoln.

Ultrarobotman -- the combo of wax and plastic is quite solid. They're not indestructible, but if you ever hold one, you can see why, with a little care, they survived the last few decades.

Yes, I have bought pieces from them before, I have an inquiry in to them now, but I have not seen this particular figure on their site however. :blush:

• 9 years later...