Wax Robots

Zesko

Recently, I have been buying up a lot of wax dinosaurs online... These are the dinosaurs that were produced from wax-injection machines in the 1960s... Specifically, the Sinclair Oil Company manufactured a bunch of these things from 1964 forward... Today I believe they call these wax machines Mold-O-Ramas, that are still in use today.... Question: Are there any wax robots that came out of this period of wax-injection manufacture? Seems logical.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zesko

• robothut

• dratomic

• robert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

sounds interesting!

zesko, can you show us all some pics of these guys, and can they be used as candles?

FANTASTIC!

Are these the same wax used in those little wax bottles filled with Kool aid that were sold in the 50's- 60's? And those Wax Lips! I've never seen dinos before. Interesting... <_<

Did a search on Ebay for wax dinosaurs and only came up with Topps Dino trading cards, containing Gum! No wax!

zesko, can you show us all some pics of these guys, and can they be used as candles?

These pieces are very fragile, and most owners don't realize that they are made of wax... Usually, they are sold online as "plastic dinosaurs"... If you see these things in one piece, anywhere, it's a miracle, because they are as fragile as a candlestick. But I was wondering, if they produced dinosaurs in injection-wax, did they produce anything else through injection-wax? Specifically, ROBOTS?

post-2-1047528077_thumb.jpg

I had one of these. It was a little red robot. I haven't seen it in a while and I suppose it must be buried at my parents house someplace. I think there is a picture of it in those images I posted a while back of my collection when I was little. I remember (I think) that the molds closed up as you watched and the little toy fell out when it was done. If I recall, it was 50 cents. That's a lot when you consider nice Japanese tin could be got for 89 cents! Ah, and here is a little fragment of the picture from Christmas of 63.

post-2-1047528301_thumb.jpg

Did a search on Ebay for wax dinosaurs and only came up with Topps Dino trading cards, containing Gum! No wax!

Well, that's the secret to finding and buying them... Hardly anybody remembers that they are wax... These dinos were originally manufactured in wax vending machines for the Sinclair Dinoland exhibit at the 1964-65 New York World Fair... 50¢ each, which was expensive back then. Afterwards, the Sinclair exhibit went on the road, touring the entire U.S. through the late 1960s... So there are wax dinosaurs that are clearly marked "New York World Fair" and there are those marked simply "Sinclair Dinoland"... Not too many sellers online are knowledgeable of their history.

I remember (I think) that the molds closed up as you watched and the little toy fell out when it was done.

You remember well, David... The wax-injection machines had transparent fronts, and you could watch the wax figure being molded... When the retaining screws backed off, your wax toy fell into a hopper, where you picked it up, warm and soft... It quickly cooled solid to the consistency of a Crayola crayon... A BIG Crayola crayon, but just as fragile.

Sorry I didn't answer earlier... Search for Sinclair Dinosaurs... More often than not, you'll see me as the high bidder.

I didn't give you any scale of measurement, so remiss of me... These wax dinos are actually pretty big; about six inches across the base, most of them around five to six inches tall. These are big pieces in wax, making them all the more unlikely to survive almost 40 years of mishandling. Let's keep in mind that I was asking about robots... David Kirk gave me a chill when he said he may have owned such a thing... A wax robot!

These Sinclair Machines are not dead and gone !!!

There are still three of them in service at the Henry

Ford Museum in Dearborn Michigan. Last fall, I took

the kids there and they had one making Steam

Locomotives, one making Model T's and another

Dinosaurs !

For $1.50 in quarters my son got the Loco. It came

out warm and waxy and quickly cooled to a hard

plastic like material. After a few days of handling

the smoke stack snapped off...

www.robotnut.com

I remember when I was a kid, I visited my grandparents in Florida (This must have been about 22 years ago, maybe a little longer). There was one of those wax injection machines, and I remember getting a yellow stegosaurus. I don't, however, remember any markings on the machine, so I don't know if it was a copy of the ones you guys are talking about. As for robots, I don't seem to recall that being an option -- if it were, I would have picked that one over the stego. And you know, I never realized that it was made of wax... too young to identify it as such, I think. Just seemed like a soft plastic to me. It is, sadly, long gone.

I recall seeing one of those machines at the Seattle Worlds fair in the early 60's, was that 1962? any way clear plastic front and machine said injection molding! I think it made Space Neadles.

These Sinclair Machines are not dead and gone !!!

Yah, the Wax-A-Ramas are still in use at the San Diego Zoo, last time I checked---but it's the event-dated pieces that you want. Worlds Fair, etc. These are what you call "triple threat" cross-collectibles---they appeal to wax collectors, world's fair collectors, dinosaur collectors, petroliana collectors. Okay, "quadruple threat"

;)

When I was a kid there used to be a museum in San Francisco that overlooked Seal Rock...

The building is still there but is now a resturant. In the lower level they had the wax

machine spitting out Dino's... I had a few of them myself. Now every time I get to San Fran

I think about that Seal Rock... Great place then and today.