• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zesko

• robothut

• dratomic

• robert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I remember this picture from the Technopolis site from Brian's Link Page.

Are those are wax robot candles? Wax robot banks? Looks like they have plastic arms---what's the background on these?

;)

Looks like they have plastic arms---what's the background on these?

Looks like a wooden table to me. LOL!

These do look like candles, so I don't think the are like the pressed wax dinosaurs. Looks more like something sold for a kids' birthday cake. B)

Oops! not candles. There goes the birthday theory.

My God, that's a beautiful machine... Immaculate! It still has its own "robotic" allure, simply fantastic... Now, can you imagine such a machine not producing wax robots? There must be an example out there somewhere!

Thanks for the pointer, Bob, and welcome... Sure enough, there is a Mold-A-Rama robot:SpaceRobotGreyMOSI.JPG... Very cool!

I notice that the website continues referring to these figures as plastic (as does the Mold-A-Rama machine itself); although I'm still certain that they are made of much cheaper colored wax... I also discovered an important mistake in the figure listings on that website, so I wrote to the site owner with both questions and answers. I'll let you know how he/she replies!

• 1 month later...

Just got hold of 4 of these guys any one have any variations that they may want to trade for a mint Space Robot.

post-2-1052179049_thumb.jpg

Well it just goes to show that you can learn something new every day. I have had this "space robot" (with " Great Explorations" on the the back of the base) for years. Found it at the bottom of a box of junk toys at a major thrift shop. Looks like I was lucky to find it in one peice. I always thought it was made out of that old plastic or vinyl that has a waxy feel to it. Thanks for the info every one.

post-2-1052186587_thumb.jpg

That's the same fellow I had in that early picture up the page. Mine was a paler red. He's cute isn't he?

I spoke with Replication Devices (Mold-A-Rama) and they say the material is mainly plastic but that they add a little bit of wax to it to thin it and make it injectable in the machines. So it is plastic and it is wax. I asked if the molds had dates, not realy was the answer to the best of there knowledge the mold is 30 to 40 years old, it was part of the inventory when they purchased the business.

Hey,

it looks like they do custom molds for $2500. Maybe if we all pool our allowances we could finally design and create that new (retro) robot we have been craving! :D

Hey,

it looks like they do custom molds for $2500. Maybe if we all pool our allowances we could finally design and create that new (retro) robot we have been craving! :D

That's just for the custom MOLD by itself. Then get ready to kick out another 10K for a refurbished Mold-A-Rama machine into which you install the mold! Start passing the hat, my friends...