Spacemen & Women From 1940

Andyman

I just ordered these. Remade by Glencoe Models.

galactic-voyager

The spacemen and women in this package constitute the first plastic spacemen ever produced. The mold for the spacemen was made by Archer in 1946 and the first spacemen were sold in 1947. It was not until the 1950s that they came into their own. The spacemen and associated playsets were shown at the 1952 New York Toy Fair.

post-2-1102081512.jpgspacemen.jpg

Those are cool, I particularly like the horn-like detail to the space-mom's shoulders. I've been picking up a few of the Ajax spacemen. Does anyone know if these have been reproduced?

post-2-1102098494.jpg000_1577_Ajax_pieces.jpg

Those are cool, I particularly like the horn-like detail to the space-mom's shoulders. I've been picking up a few of the Ajax spacemen. Does anyone know if these have been reproduced?

Yes they have been reproduced the repros have been around for about 5 years, they turn up on ebay all time and some hobby shops have them as well. Yes the archer robot is the same design as the Merit magic answere game.

Thanks John-

Now the question is how to tell the difference between an original and a repro. I'm mainly interested in Ajax but any tip would be helpfull.

Funkrobotic-

I've been meaning to post this picture I found in Blast off. Isn't this the robot that should go with your version of Merit's Magic Robot Game?

post-2-1102107328.jpg000_1580_funk__s_merit_magic_robot.jpg

No Fineas, thats the one that goes with the foreign version but I can't remember which country it was made. Was it Hungary or somewhere like that ?

One things for sure, thats one mean looking metal man.

Can you imagine that bot Highwheel size and battery operated. Scary !!

Archived