3D Printed Robots Forum

Brian..

It's clear that this new technology needs its own forum, so I've created one and will put all the related posts into the new location. Exciting times!

In the forum you can see the progress of 3D technology in the vintage robot world, from the 2014 Bank Ding-A-Ling to date.

Hello Brian,

I personally think its a pity you moved all the posts to an other place on alphadrome. I think, but only speaking for myself here, is that the new technology is bringing new fire, new life to the collecting world.
The fusion of old robots, old techniques, ideas and try outs,  combined with new technology is keeping the spirit alive, is keeping this forum alive and will bring new collectors.
When Henk made robots with old coffee tins, there was no special "coffee tin" section. When robots are completed with molded parts, no seperate section for that, so why for the new 3D tech ?

Is a robot with a windup mechanism, tin feet and classic view, but with a 3D printed body... a 3-D robot ! ?
When i introduced 3-D technology in the robot community some time ago, I believe with little giant robot, It was so cool to see that John also saw the possibilities and made some awesome creations like alpha - rama and the Strider and I am sure many will follow.
The fact that these topics were responsible for so many views, talk and enthousiasm proves that the new path is loved by many here on Alphadrome.

I therefore think these post belong in the Robot Talk forum and should not be put away in a subforum. Its about ROBOTS and yes, instead of tin coffee cans, used and molded parts, there is a new addition... called PLA - 3D printed... how cool is this !

Of course Brian, I understand... there will be always pro and cons here on the forum, just looks like real life ! :)
people who love it and people who hate it.

Would it be a good idea to do a VOTE and let the Dromers speak ?   just an idea.

Dear Brian, I really have the greatest respect for what you are doing, the forum and this whole site.. AlphaDrome is absolute the best source !

I hope you will reconsider this.

Cheers

Marco

The Robot Talk subforum is the long term home for vintage robots and space toys. It always has been. Posts get the limelight for a week or two but then they vanish into the void.

For long term research we have subforums: space guns go in their own subforum, as do space plastic, space figures, reproduction robots, customised robots etc. The 3D Printed Forum is intended to give easy, reliable access to the information. I can't see that it deserves to be treated any differently.

Please feel free to post in Robot Talk if you want the top spot for a few days, but it will eventually be moved to a place where it can be most use.

I'll move Gustavo 2 to the reproduction robot section if you wish. There's definitely an overlap between the old and the new technologies.

On 17/05/2016 at 10:45 PM, Brian.. said:

It's clear that this new technology needs its own forum, so I've created one and will put all the related posts into the new location. Exciting times!

In the forum you can see the progress of 3D technology in the vintage robot world, from the 2014 Bank Ding-A-Ling to date.

Hi Brian

I see that Andyman started a topic re 3D printing back in November 2011. 

Archived