Alpha Strider a new 3d printed robot project

robothut

Well, the last week I spent on a diversion. Wanting to improve my 3d CAD skills I have designed a new 3d printed robot. I use Design Spark Mechanical free 3d CAD.Well, make that Robot's, since it started as a non programed Old School walking robot in to a walking , striding bending and gear spinning programed robot.The striding action makes me think of John Cleese in his skit Ministry of Silly Walks. The bending is like that of DUX Astroman / Mr Mercury.The chest gear display is based on the Mechanic gear robot. and the Head and arms are like Fly Eye robots of the past. The walking action is the standard old school slide and Glide "ratchet wheels on the bottom of the feet, but you can control the walking action stride and speed. So it could be small fast or slow steps or large srtiding steps Over 1 year a go I did a post "here some place" on using the cheep china servo testers as a way to control servos with out haveing to learn any programing. The servo testers and dirt cheep and have modes of operation. They power up in manual mode meaning you turn the knob and the servo tracks your knob turning movment, mode two is the servos will center themselves "good for a stand at attention" and mode 3 the servo tester will cycle the servos back and forth over and over. So it seemed to me that would make for a great walking action control unit. All I would have to do is use 4 servos and flip them Left and Right. Here is a you tube link for the first design of the walking section. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are the new 3d printed parts. I made the body a single part that prints vertically and looks great. All the parts "except the chest gear display" are printed in the glow in the dark blue plastic.

DSC01881.jpg

The feet have ratchet wheels , the teeth must face the right way and there is a groove for a silicon rubber "glow" O ring tire. front and back ratchet arms are different and right and left foot parts are reveresed, I was able to use Mesh mixer to Mirror these parts so I did not have to design them 4 times. Same with the feet.

DSC01882.jpg

DSC01883.jpg

DSC01887.jpg

The servos mount to a leg part, then to the feet and the crotch unit that also has the battery box part.

DSC01901.jpg

DSC01902.jpg

DSC01903.jpg

DSC01904.jpg

DSC01907.jpg

That makes a very effective chassis for a whole generation of robots.

That louche walk reminds me of Crumb's "Keep On Trucking"

OK some one photo shop a ZZ top beard on to this body/face. The cool thing about the new body is that it prints Vertical and in one peice. Also no supports or raft, even with the large battery opening and hatch on the top back the printer can do the part just as you see it. No clean up. The arms turned out very nice as well. The programmed version of this robot that will bend and walk will be printed in Black plastic for contrast.

DSC01889.jpg

DSC01890.jpg

DSC01891.jpg

DSC01884.jpg

DSC01885.jpg

Amazing John, as usual. But a question if I may:

When do you sleep? Or do you use your time machine to create 48 hour days? I'm baffled as to how you have the time for all this.

But whatever your method, keep it up, please.

Archived