Mighty Robot Help !

9tobor9

A friend of mine left a Mighty Robot (in the family Chief Robotman, I need the uncle Mighty), you know the one with the square transparent head, & the.....gasp....plastic arms; near a heating device that suddenly decided to burst with life, & the right arm began to melt, well not really, just bend, fold; gee it's hard to explain when english is not your native language.

Anyway, he believes that maybe by turning up the heat again, he might(y robot, did I mention it's a Mighty Robot) have the opportunity to make it malleable again & restore him, the arm, to straightness.

I'll stop LewisCarolling for a moment : seriously :: would any of you, robotphiles, know where to find a right arm for a MIGHTY ROBOT, or is it possible to cast one or is there a Hermione Granger in the house with a fixing spell.

Help me & my friend, robotalkenobi, you are our only hope.

you can look for a repo robot that has a similar arm. casting is difficult cuz it reproduces the arm exactly. i made a plaster arm and then molded ,sanded and shaped.then casted again. but that is hard work.

good luck

Just my 2 cents, but I would re-heat till it's pliable again & reshape. I know it's not a robot arm, but I heat & shape plastic pipe a lot, theres a point where it goes from soft to mushy - you have to watch out. In a way, it's already ruined, what have you to lose? [sanity?] :o

I lost my sanity a long time ago !!! & the thing is he just would take all possible precautions to avoid ruining it further by doing something too harsh or too fast.

I haven't seen the damage yet, just heard the story on the phone as he asked for my advice. I tought there would be more in all our heads than in just mine.

Thanks for the tips, both of you; more are welcome..........X³ris

I've had some luck re-shaping warped Mr. Machine wheels by dipping them in gently boiling water for 5 to 10 seconds. I agree with Mike Van. There is a point when the plastic goes from soft to mushy and the warpage becomes even greater. Then, no amount of boiling water treatment will un-do the damage. And, if left in the water too long, the clear plastic turns cloudy.

Try this at your own risk!!!

I talked to Chr./9tobor9 about this already on the telephone, but for the benefit of others:

I have a Silicon (=heatresitant) mold of this arm. We will place the victim in there, apply some

pressure and Slowly ( so the heat can dissipate to the thicker area's) turn up the heat in

an electric oven. When the point of plasticity is reached, we will try to force it into the mold.

we will pray also.

A friend of mine left a Mighty Robot (in the family Chief Robotman, I need the uncle Mighty), you know the one with the square transparent head, & the.....gasp....plastic arms; near a heating device that suddenly decided to burst with life, & the right arm began to melt, well not really, just bend, fold; gee it's hard to explain when english is not your native language.

Anyway, he believes that maybe by turning up the heat again, he might(y robot, did I mention it's a Mighty Robot) have the opportunity to make it malleable again & restore him, the arm, to straightness.

I'll stop LewisCarolling for a moment : seriously :: would any of you, robotphiles, know where to find a right arm for a MIGHTY ROBOT, or is it possible to cast one or is there a Hermione Granger in the house with a fixing spell.

Help me & my friend, robotalkenobi, you are our only hope.

Hi there, I think you will have a hard time. getting a replacement arm/arms for your Mighty Robot :((

I don't think re-heating and bending will straighten them, the plastic is sooo hard and brittle it would probably disintergrate before it melted :((

I think your best bet is to hold out for a donor arm that you could borrow and have Classic Tin toy or other toy repair profeesional create a dupicate via molding.

I have a photo that you could send to folks so they know what you are looking for.

http://www.mt-generator.com.au/00011.JPG

regards

Russell

Ps. I know Brian Hayes has a Mighty Robot with one and a half arms (I think it was the left that was snapped off at the elbow- He might appreciate a spare arm to if you ever get a repro molded

• Brian.. changed the title to Mighty Robot Help !

Archived