Jalisco Star Strider

marco

Banco industrial de jalisco Italy.   This is what the original sticker tells us when looking at a robot saving bank Martijn found some weeks ago. 
After doing some research i came back pretty empty handed. Banco Industrial de Jalisco shows up on the internet but there seems to be a link to mexico.
can not place the combination because the savingsbank clearly says: Italy.  Maybe the bank was founded in Mexico and had branches later in europe.. italy.. no idea to be honnest.
So it still does answer the question where the bank was made.. italy or mexico.. maybe somebody can shine his light on that.

Now saving banks are not my first choice in collecting robots and spacetoys but i had to admit, besides the "normal" body of the savingsbank, the head is a special one and looks great.
When Martijn brought the robot over, there was not much else for me to do than making a high resolution scan of the savingsbank robots head and start to think about how to bring a "savingsbank robot" to life.
I decided the head would be a good fit for a star strider so I scaled it down a bit to the proper size and made a 3D print of the head.
I airbrushed the head in red with grey in the facesection, mounted the antennas for the ears from the robots head and installed 3 lightbulbs that light up flickering with the light of the internal gun of the robot.

Only thing I have to finish is a hole to put in the coins :)  The robot will shoot at you then when you dont insert enough money :) 

Here are some pictures of the Original Jalisco Saving Bank from Martijn and the Jalisco Star Strider.

Marco

DSC_0384.JPG

DSC_0374.JPG

DSC_0375.JPG

DSC_0376.JPG

DSC_0377.JPG

DSC_0378.JPG

DSC_0379.JPG

DSC_0380.JPG

DSC_0381.JPG

DSC_0382.JPG

Marco, another winner!  The new head matches perfectly, and gives the toy a lot of personality. I don't know how I'll manage; I want every robot you create! :frustrate:

Hahaha Thanks Brady :)

Yes it looks like a perfect match for a new robot with ditto personality :)
Did you know this Jalisco Star Strider will become available in green and blue as well  hahahahahah

Cheers !

Marco

Yes, That works Marco, nice.

Another year or 2 and hopefully the price of these printers will no doubt drop and we will all be at it!

Hey Paul,

If you do a quick search on ebay you will find out you can have a really perfect 3D printer at 300 - 400 bucks that you can put together all by yourself.
These machines are capable of making awesome 3D prints Paul.
Look at what John did.. he bought a cheap printer, took a good look at it and he is doing great with that one...

Like I said before in previous posts... this all may look new but 3D printing has been around for quite some time.. its nothing new in fact.
The fact that i introduced it to the wonderful world of robots and spacetoys IS new :)
What many maybe not realize that its NOT the 3D printer that is the key here.... Its the process of 3D scanning that is the key.
People are making awesome things with 3D printers for maybe 5 years or more. if you want to see what the machines are capable of, take a look at thingiverse.com   look here for whatever you want and you will see AMAZING things pass by, EVEN made with cheap and very affordable
3D printers. You will even find some 3D drawn robots there. I believe i saw a 3D drawn version of attacking martian that looked really nice.

I had these ideas in mind maybe 2 years ago already. The printers were there and capable of doing very high end printing but there were no good scanners in the market.

Now these days... there are good 3D scanners in all sorts of range, price and capabilities but still you should need a separate scanner for different parts.. small, big, complex, shiny, dark light etc.
All these companies that make 3D scanners show wonderful results... yep they put a PERFECT figure on the table that can be perfect scanned by that machine... 
in the real world however i found out that it was NOT those perfect objects that i had to scan... but difficult robot parts that are symmetrically and have different colors etc etc
These objects are can even be scanned by the cheapest 3D scanner in the market but.... you really dont want to see the result of those scans.. most parts you will not even recognize when you look at the digital file.

So i decided to use a combination of 3 different 3D scanners and made special software for these machine to combine the scans and mesh them together. With this I can make exact copies to the finest details of our beloved robots and parts.
I think I worked and tested for more than 4 months last year to make this happen and now you see the first results of that in Little Giant , 703-D and Gosstavo and still... there is a lot to discover and to learn because every robot, head arm and part needs
a different approach to capture it in 3D.

And yes I realise it all looks like to buy a 3D printer (cheap or expensive, thats not even important, its what you put inside ....)  and get it going... but... the reality is somehow different Paul :)

If I have the time I will be happy to share all the info about this process and if you want to buy your first printer, happy to help you out with all the things you need to know :)

Have a great weekend !

Marco

Hi Marco

Thanks for the info. I have seen thingiverse and also Brian has talked a good while ago now to me about 3D printing so I have been aware of it. It's something I will probably look into when I have retired as I haven't really the time at the moment. Plus by then, good printers and scanners will no doubt be cheaper. Yes, John got a printer and fixed it but he is streets ahead of me. I am quite mechanically minded, can fix most most things and I used to be in engineering before I got into the Jewellery trade in which we also uses modelling etc. When I get around to it, you guys will have done all the groundwork and it will be here for us to digest so that's a pretty good start, so thanks for that! I am pretty sure that when I get enough free time I will come up with something eventually, it will all be trial and error as you and John have found. I am sure there will be several people having a stab at this in the next couple of years.

Thanks guys for your continues comments, appreciated and useful 

Martijn:  Yep the top is a lightbulb and also the eyes are both little bulbs that light up along with the gun action of the strider.

Marcy.. have you any idea where these were made ? Italy or mexico ?
maybe you have similar banks with different heads.. would love to see them :)

The fact that its red is just coincidence... I have several striders but red was the only one i could find in my workshop, rest must be at home on my attic.
I wonder how it would look in blue.. must be looking cool as well :)

Marco

Ah ok grazie Patron ! :) hehehehe
and still.. i have my doubts Martijn.. i was told that the Jalisco Star Strider was made in Holland :-)

I will also make the Jalisco in blue and green, really want to see them in those colors as well.

Marco

Archived