Alien Walker scratchbuild

Morbius

Rebuilding scratchbuild I originally did in '80.  Old one was lost so I'm doing it again...better than before.  Stay tuned.

bluerobot.jpg

P1140452.JPG

P1140454.JPG

P1140455.JPG

Old martian walker596.jpg

P1140455 - Copy.JPG

Thanks Phil!  Had some spare AT AT parts around in '80 or '81 and just sort of happened.  I'd seen the 2 footed walkers in Empire Strikes Back but to me they looked more like chickens.  Ripped my alien from the Lindberg Flying Saucer I had since the mid-'70s and sat him atop one of the tiny Snow Speeders that were included with the original AT AT kits by MPC, they were too small scale-wise I thought for the model kit and I had this robot sitting there (cheap) so I threw the pilot into it. I'd tipped the robot horizontally at some point and decided it could make a decent vehicle. One of those quick builds.  The new one is another with a couple of hours into it, most of the pre-planning takes longer gathering up the pieces.  On the new one I didn't want to spend $40 on an original AT AT kit (the next release didn't include the speeders) to get the speeder and poseable (2) legs...and I also didn't want to spend the same for the flying saucer kit.  Back in the day the first one cost maybe $15 max including the kits so thought this time I'd improvise and improve as well with what I have handy.  I figured if I did it back then, I can do it again now.  

Next up is the Alien tank.  ALIEN kit, Aurora Stalin Tank kit and Space 1999 MPC Eagle kit for the shoulders and snout (exhaust tips). I'll check flea markets for the Eagle kit and model shops for a built vintage Aurora Stalin tank.  Phil if you see an incomplete MPC/Airfix Eagle kit in a smashed box at a market somewhere, all I need are 3 of the exhausts for the next project.  !/72 scale.  Same goes for the pointy-fronted tank (1/48). 

Thanks for the encouragement!:thumbs:

Tank1.jpg

Crap Andy, I guess I sort of did an Andybot...ripped those diodes out of something and made them into art but I don't remember what.  You might not even have been born yet when I built it ('80)???:wacko:

• 3 weeks later...

Completed.  Robot to walker, like the original I built in 1981 but improved cockpit.  All other parts from the same sources such as the hatches on the top are the shoulders/upper arm section of the red-chrome windup Hong Kong walking robot and legs from At-At Walker Star Wars model kit by MPC. Improvised the alien driver this time rather than spend $$ on a Lindberg Flying Saucer kit for the driver.

WalkerA.jpg

WalkerB.jpg

WalkerC.jpg

alien walker 6.jpg

On 4/16/2016 at 0:03 PM, Morbius said:

Crap Andy, I guess I sort of did an Andybot...ripped those diodes out of something and made them into art but I don't remember what.  You might not even have been born yet when I built it ('80)???:wacko:

How old do you think I am? Dude, I was born in 1960. :blush:

BTW-I wasn't trying to imply anything negative. I just think it's cool that we think alike!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks very much John!  It was lots of fun...I've been getting back into building again after 2 model builder friends got me going again.  Seeing you 3-D printing all your stuff lately made me think about creating more stuff myself.   This is the guy who gave up his shoulders to cover up the upper screw holes in the robot.  I asked *Altaira if I should go truly original in the new incarnation and that another little 'bot would have to give up some parts, she said I should.  

Pic below shows I didn't want to waste the arms.  I should've added the legs to but he was a pain in the but to cobble back together as you need 3 hands to do it post-factory, didn't want to try it again.   

Note too that both robots (same era...1977 or so) have the exact mechanism inside.  The white fellow can have 2 different keys.

P1140526.JPG

P1140525.JPG

Surprized me to find such a beautifully manufactured mechanism in these robots.  They're interchangeable between the 3 chromium-hot-wheels coloured 'bots and I assume the 3 in the 2006 series.

P1140530.JPG

P1140531.JPG

Thanks Oz, much appreciated.  Gone to the building side for awhile again, been away from it for too long. :biggrin:

Very cool, imaginative build Mike. My only critique would be that it is a little too monochromatic. I would add some wear and tear, rust/ oxidation, empire insignia, etc. Make it look lived in and used. But all in all, awesome piece! Don't know why but It kinda reminds me of the giant eye in "Small Soldiers".

eye.jpg

Archived