WAR OF THE WORLDS TRUCK

Phil R

I bought a vintage steel truck a year ago with the idea of using it to build a "what if"  ray gun truck for "War of the Worlds"  I finally got the time. My friend Bob, the sheet metal craftsman, helped me make parts for the front and the ray gun. 

The gun started as a damaged flashlight with a yellow plastic cap. I added the ray front by replacing the lens, and painted it. The main colors are nickel silver, black and a modified cherry red. 

I designed ray holder that swivels and a housing to protect the ray gun operator. I added a light/ray to the roof. The headlights(the original truck didn't have any) are a stylized red/clear with rings. The overall length is 18" and the ray gun lights as per the flashlight

I designed the label and it's called the  Atomic Defense Command.

P3300001.JPG

P3300002.JPG

P4020001.JPG

P4030001.JPG

P4020002.JPG

P4020009.JPG

P4030004.JPG

P4030005.JPG

P4030006.JPG

Wow, Phil. Seeing the first pics I wasn't convinced your idea was working but once you added the paint job it really came together! It totally captures the essence of the time period and stays true to the original design of the truck. Nice work, sir!

Nice job Phil! I really like the front bumper! It really looks spacey. What is the piece on top?

Joe, I cheat. The top light is a clip on hat light. I also used it on the wings of of Royal vacuum rocket from my last custom a few weeks ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Nicely done Phil!  I have a large Archer Defense Truck I've been thinking about doing the same thing with; unfortunately for me, thinking and doing are two separate things.

Archived