Hopping Robot 3d printed and Free at Botstock 13

robothut

I am posting this here for a few reasons. First I want to make sure that every one "newbies" know about Botstock 13 and second I want to show a few more PLA plastic colors. This time BLACK, RED "not translucent red like before but red like a old Magic Mike robot" GOLD, Translucent blue and Translucent white "they call it clear". So I saw these wind up hopping rabbits for Easter at the dollar store last week and bought all they had "30". Then I set out to skin the rabbits to get to the wind up mechanics , return spring, The eyes and nose would make for good antennas I thought and the plastic bag and card board header could be used again. So I enlisted Ken to do some artwork for the robots and packaging. Then I thought if I put these robots together as single colors there will be fights over what colors people want, so I decided to use all the colors on all the robots. Yea I have grand kids I know how this works.I will keep the first 5 single color robots for the Robothut. That will leave 24 robots as Swag for Botstock. If its OK with you Joe I will box them up and send them your way. One per family so that there is enough other wise it will just be first come first serve. Here is a you tube of the bots you might like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBx-xKhj0uo&feature=youtu.be

DSC01772.jpg

DSC01787.jpg

DSC01788.jpg

DSC01790.jpg

DSC01785.jpg

Print time for each robot was 1 hour 22 minuets. Each hopper has been tested before being bagged. I found 1 that hop's backwards , a real treat for the lucky perosn who finds that one. Some hop fast some slow, some up and down and go no where. Fun for the whole family.

DSC01765.jpg

DSC01767.jpg

For the newbies who will be attending Botstock this year and don't know too much about Mr. Rigg, consider your SWAG gift from him as a great piece of art and robot workmanship from THE master craftsman.  He can create a masterpiece from a $2 toy and the love and technology he puts into it will leave you stunned.  :woohoo:

Well done John... i see the 3D printer caught you fully as well :) .... Unlimited creative power !!!

Cheers
Marco

You're also a master craftsman Marco, any newbees should be made aware of that.

John & Marco, you're opening our minds to the enormous possibilities that 3D printing is bringing to our hobby. The combination of speed, accuracy and low cost (all relative of course: you had to buy the printer and materials) must give us pause for thought. You are demystifying the whole procedure and making it affordable.

I think back to the first daisy wheel printer that I used, then the dot matrix (I'm still deaf) followed by ink-jet, laser, color laser  and dye sublimation. That first printer cost a fortune and couldn't even print a picture.  Now they'll give me a high quality color printer for free if I'll buy the ink.

That daisy wheel is where we're at with 3D printing capabilities. Costs will drop, resolution will improve and speed will cease to be of any consequence.

Thankyou. I think I'll have to buy the 3D printer that I've been looking at for the last five years.

Thank you so very much John, your hard work and thoughtfulness is very much appreciated!  The Hopping Robot will be a hoot I'm sure!  

The colour mixes are excellent😀

Mr Rigg, once again you have worked your magic to provide Botstockers with a unique and special treat! I also appreciate the noble sacrifice these bunnies made in order to provide us with these gifts.

Thank you sir!

You're also a master craftsman Marco, any newbees should be made aware of that.

Beware of the Dutch Caves  ! :)  Thanks for your kind words... appreciated man !

There is so much possible with this new technique.. my brain is doing overtime since the past 6 months :).....

Have a great weekend
Marco

Archived