Is this the eariest Space toy ? Space Car Whistle

roboz

I suppose it depends on whether it is classed as a rocket at the time or a car with a planes tail. When were the man in the moon films made and was there a space rocket concept in the early 20s, if so yes it could be.

cheers

Chilli

Personally I think rockets and Model T wheels  are a nice mix. But are you supposed to blow into it, or roll it so fast that it whistles in the wind?

The earliest space toy that we've documented is the Buddy Robot Truck, 1932.  It's hardly what you'd call a classic space toy though. The Buck Rogers merchandise comes next and much of it is probably earlier than Lilliput.

Marcy mentioned this rocket/car here: http://danefield.com/alpha/forums/topic/17860-feeling-sentimental-ray-rohr-anecdote/#comment-155618

Is it a space toy? I'm not sure.  Do we have confirmation of the 1920s claim?  It certainly has an early look about it; the spoked wheels are a common feature of penny toys.

So far it seems to be an interesting possibility.

Unless a box surfaces we can only hypothesize 

it certainly seems rocket influenced , the front end resmbles mieles rocket from 1902's trip to the moon

on the other hand it also resembles 1920's race cars of the period 

As a new owner of one , I'll vote for space toy :biggrin:

One other aspect is without an illustration it's hard to know the intent of the designer

This car without the box would have almost no connection to a space toy & most would

probably assume it's a jet car 

jupiter car.jpg

Archived