Smoking Spaceman: Opening

Jonydroid

Hi Alphadromers

i need some help here, i´m opening my robot because he don´t work , I reached a point where I need to know what is the best way to remove the ears,

thanks

cheers

J

IMG_20160311_180611.jpg

IMG_20160311_180702.jpg

Squeez the top and bottom and pull them off, that"s how they are put on.

Hi John 

I will try to do it this way as you said, I'm going slowly and very carefully because I do not want to damage anything, it's the first time I do this and I hope i can do with help, I'm commenting here the state of play with photos 
thank you so much

cheers

J.

Hello  :D

i´m back, 

The ears are much harder to take than I imagined and are so hard that you can not make hard enough for themselves out, for what I notice is that they are trapped by the front because it appears a little metal in space between the head and the ear and in the space behind this has nothing, I think the answer is there to get out the ears but I will have to use more force to something give in that direction, if anyone has any more ideas I'm all ears and eyes. thanks

cheers

J.

IMG_20160313_164855_1.jpg

IMG_20160313_164917_1.jpg

IMG_20160313_164637_1.jpg

IMG_20160313_164704_1.jpg

well well finally i did it :thumbs:

ears came out :biggrin:

I finally got after applying some force from the front of the ears to the back and they came out easily, i thought this was a more complicated thing but it´s not, and the entire rear and dome panel also came out, everything went very smoothly and effortlessly and nothing was damaged all thanks to use a small woolen cloth of my glasses, I removed the back panel and I now i´m searching for something  loose or disconnected

IMG_20160313_181006_1.jpg

IMG_20160313_181130.jpg

IMG_20160313_181150.jpg

I must say this smoker is well built despite being a repro and what I observe there are no plastic gears,  is all metal :D

I want to, first of all thank the help of Ranger and Robothut, thank you my friends:cheers:

cheers

J.

Thanks for sharing your work, have you tried spinning the motor pinion gear while it is switched on, the motor often needs a bit of help after being unused for some time.

Thanks for sharing your work, have you tried spinning the motor pinion gear while it is switched on, the motor often needs a bit of help after being unused for some time.

You're welcome, I want to put some type of grease in some moving parts before attempting something for the effort is less, but yes your right, that is the next step to do, thank you MetalRobotHead :-)

Excellent Job! He actually looks better inside than I thought he would.

Do you have a voltmeter of some type? You could check if voltage is getting to the motor. If not, try turning on the robot and giving the motor output gear a little spin with your fingers. If the motor is not bound up too bad, it will run.

Personally I would be pretty upset about having to strip open a new robot.

Might be best to stick with the originals Jonydroid.

A lot more fun to open something up that hasn't seen the light of day for 50 or so years.

Also a lot more collectable and desirable and more satisfaction to bring back to life an old robot or space toy that was once dead.

Save up your money and cast aside the Reproductions Jonydroid.

Then you will find real satisfaction!!

Your right Maloo, to a certain extent. Yes, original will always be best. That said, it would probably cost around 15 times or more to pick up a 'real' smoker and if you can't wait or just can't afford it, this is the next best thing. It gets newbies like jonydroid into the hobby and though the internals are different, it's good he gets experience taking a repro apart rather than learning the best way to open them up etc on an original. Repros fulfil a need, love them or hate them. I am sure there are many starting to collect  because of repros and now the 'real robots' are being slowly added to their collections which is great. I have many repro robots nowadays, they all work though it has to be said that they don't run as smoothly, and never will, plus  the actions are not exactly the same as the originals, but for the money they are pretty good. I wouldn't like to sit in my workshop  and try and make a smoker as good as a Ha Ha version that you can pick up for $45 or less. I totally agree that getting an old robot to work again is satisfying but if jonydroid gets his smoker to work I am sure he will be delighted. Of course,if he doesn't, it could well put him off too. All swings and roundabouts as the saying goes.

Cheers.

Hi 

i don´t have a voltmeter :-( but i will try the best i can to run it :-) thank you ckalkhof

you know very recently i saw an original smoking spaceman "made in japan" logo stamped at the rear panel, this was gray color and it wasn´t too expensive, was a very good condition working robot, the problem was i didn´t have the $$ because i allready purchased a MH robot, so, yes i know these originals are the Quest but you know i love robots, and i love to have them running and watch them working, i will try to get more originals, the ones that i like most, because they give me joy and  satisfation, that makes me a better person, if i don´t get more originals well it´s because i have no $$, and thats fine for me, although being a repro it still remains a robot... thanks for all the comments

cheers

Joao

Hi Joao

That's great!  Yes, that's the very brass cog I was talking about. As I said to you from the start, I knew it would run eventually. I can't get your video from the link you have posted, it just takes me to a link to sign into a google account?  I will just go direct to youtube myself and look for it. Well done!  You must feel very pleased now!

Found the video Joao. It looks brilliant running like that with half a body and no dome!  They look well made don't they, all metal cogs, pinions etc. Thanks for the video. Now to find your next non runner to fix!

Yap

thanks i´m happy with the result they are well made indeed for a repro yes, i need to make another video the MH metal revolution bot :D

welcome

cheers

Joao

Archived