Another "Original" ARM lives again!

Ranger

I picked up another poor old ARM, armless and headless too this time. Anyway,after 4.5 hours in the garage this p.m and he is whole again. Would have been quicker until I discovered the repro head would not fit properly as the slots for the tabs in the original and the repro top plate are in a different place, so his head would not face forward so I had to rework that. Also I made the mistake of buying some cheap paint because it was a lighter brown which I have been looking for. It caused me nothing but problems and has a loooonnnng drying time and I hate waiting!  So, the £3 tin of paint was rubbish and I was back to the £7 a can paint which is dry in no time, well with the aid of a hair dryer! I It's not brilliant, the mouth I should have painted a bit narrower but it is generally wider on the repro anyway. Repro ears are also wider to and so on but these robots were crudely finished really so that's my excuse. Lack of time and not enough patience!  Anyway, I know some say leave as is but I like to make them whole again!  Oh, also one of the metal strips that drives the legs, the pin he walks on  was completely missing, so the donor ARM supplied one which fitted perfectly. The old boy runs just fine.

ARM 2ND ONE.jpg

ARM 2ND ONE 2ND PHOTO.jpg

ARM 2ND ONE 3RD PHOTO.jpg

ARM 2ND ONE 2ND PHOTO NECK PLATES.jpg

ARM 2ND ONE 4TH PHOTO.jpg

ARM 2ND ONE 5TH PHOTO.jpg

Thanks. There is not a lot to these though, they are very easy to work with, no batteries so no wires, lights etc. Just a matter of having a few hours spare to tinker.

Ha, my mate, Doc Frankenstein!!!

But seriously, when you hold a 60 year old robot like these, you just get a kick that you dont feel in more recent items.( sad old bastard ramble, soz.)

cheers

Chilli

Chilli, I like newer robots, as you know but...yes ,I cant deny there is something special about the old stuff. If only this little ARM could talk eh, where has he been for the last 60 years, when did he lose his head and arms, how many have owned him etc. I did enjoy putting him back together and I really like these 2 little knackered, beat up old robots now.  Think I will buy more beaten up 'bots.  Oh, Frankenstein, one of my all time favourite films, the original with Boris, great film!

A nice bit of tinkering Ranger!

I can see myself doing the same thing when I finally venture down the Atomic Robot Man path.

Archived