Gustav 2.0 => Gosstavo Robot

marco

Ok.... here is the second attempt to create Henk`s Logo into the Gosstavo faceshield....
I think it looks better than the first one... 

will be quite a delicate process to handpaint a series of these robots though.
as smooth as the 3D printed parts look... under a microscope its quite a rough surface so hard to paint. 
Still i think i will proceed with this because I think Henk`s Logo looks awesome on Gustav`s Face.

Next week I will print some complete bodies and will continue to experiment with this. Need some finer pencils to even draw sharper lines on the faceshield but this second one gives a good idea how the final face could look like...
Let me know your thoughts on this....

Marco

DSC_0062.JPG

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about doing the classic mask screen and air brush paint job like all the old 1950's plastic toys had. Its not perfect but its fast and gives that look that classic plastic that is painted would have. Like Electric robot and Son for example.

Prefer the second concept. Airbrush sounds like a good idea, if you manage to find a simple way of masking the other parts. And what, if you only apply one colour? Could save 50% of your efforts. Still would have a two tone effect for the face.

my opinion:

go for the two tone, but less differnet, not black and white, more like grey, dark grey. Or light grey- dark grey?

It would keep the spirit and design of Henks card, but would not look like a clowns harlekin  dress on a whole Robot.

Would in l be possible to make the half body and face parts left and right separate with two different colors? 

Just some input for thoughts....

however..looking good!

Thanks for in input guys...

Airbrush is not an option here, the 3D surface does not allow to brush straight lines, i have tried that already.
I can cut the body and face in half but that does not give a straight body anymore than...
This will make it to complicated. the fact that the whole head, face and body is one piece makes it good to handle and makes it look ok.
making that seperate parts again, only for the colors... I already tried that but that did not work out to well.

John, yes i realize that there are hundred different ways to come to a final solution...and the more we think about it, the more difficult it will become.
The unpainted grey metallic PLA printed looks awesome and matches perfect to a robot body, arm and whatever..

I try to focus on the first idea and that is a 3D printed body of gustav... modified with the parts i found in henks box bin.
Than mix that up with his logo and give it my personal touch as well... this must be Gosstavo..

John / Klaus and Imago,  have tried to airbrush 3D printed parts. The body is build out of 1275 layers. when you paint or airbrush that, the paint will flow through the lines... 
to avoid this, the body must be sprayed in groundpaint and than its possble.. but.. i want to keep the 3D finish in metallic grey... so that wont work.
an other option would be to vaporize the 3D printed body but thats a complex technique and difficult to do and it will make the whole robot way to expensive.  I could print the body in black on white but the finish in grey is MUCH nicer and looking much better than in black or white..

I think the second gosstavo head looks better than the first one for sure. I already experimented with Gernots idea last week.
to use only darker grey on the light body.. to give it the idea of henks logo.. still must be handpainted than..I will do a test hopefully tomorrow
on a complete body..to see how that looks like.

Also I am still thinking about the arms... my FIRST thought was to use tuliphead arms, resized for this robot... but i have to try to see if i can scan them and resize them
I think it would look awesome... also I will do a test with daiya ranger robot arms... I want to give gosstavo some special arms also..

Hmmm ok... enough to do next week... Guess it will be GOSSTAVO week hahahaha

Keep you guys posting, thanks for the feedback and plz... ALL is welcome... positive AND negative... let me know what you think of the project because I think 
that gosstavo is a bit a robot of us all here on Alphadrome... 

Bedtime in the caves here :).... Goedenacht !! 

marco

I have to agree (per usual) with Gernot here - while a nice idea the two tone black and white for me does not work - it takes away from the simplicity and 50's look and feel which made this piece so special to begin with......

I'm basically with Gernot and Steve. A dark shade, not quite black, and a lighter shade of gray.  Still thinking, the lighter shade could be just the metallic PLA. So only the dark half to be applied manually. Or do you think, you need a plain layer of paint underneath, if corrections around the delicate mouth are required? 

These surface structures seem to be very special. Good, you already have some experience!

Looking forward to your next ideas and tests!

Edited:

A quick draft with a felt pen, not the realistic conditions and simplyfied details, I know. That Riddler's mouth is tricky!

image.thumb.jpeg.f009663823e2f7128129e1c

Marco,   How about all grey robot with black ears and antenna like you have now and could you insert round circles of plastic gel in red, blue , or green for the eyes. ?

I am not sure how many different color combinations for the eyes but Gernot would know.....just my 2 cents worth....;o)  Keep the cave fire burning!

IMG_0507.JPG

DSC_0062.thumb.JPG.f61423c8cc5b676fe15f406c6800d82c.JPG

I like the robot as he is. Could you incorporate Henks logo onto/into the back pack maybe?

Re arms, I  think the arms scaled down from a ranger robot or a winky would look good on him. 

Thanks for the input guys....

Klaus, thanks again for your detailed help... highly appreciated. ! 
If I use the grey of the body and apply one color to make the face, its not possible because you will only end up with the left OR right mouthsection.
Its possible for the eyes and nose section but not for the mouthpiece when only using one color on the grey.
I have thought about but found out when testing you can not make the mouthsection.

as you stated.. the mouth is difficult to make. when i use the second tryout.. i am able to do minor corrections because there is paint underneath...
when I do this on plain plastic... one single error can not be corrected anymore and 15 hours of printing can be thrown away...

Steve and ranger... Gustav is of course a fantastic robot made BUT.. its already been done by Henk ! :) 
Of course i can copy this robot and make a series of 25 of these again but it does not feel good.
I have thought about that for i think... 2 years or so and decided not to make a copy of gustav robot.... some things must be left untouched, but that is my opinion.

The reason i started the GOSSTAVO project is to see if I can bring 4 "worlds" together in a new robot.... the shape of gustav, new 3D printing and scanning technology, some tryouts from Henk i found in the box with parts and my own ideas.

I have seen and found out that 50 different people all have their ideas for Gosstavo Robot. Because i think this project is one that belongs to all of us. I am open for ALL input, ideas, corrections and help.
I will use it all to adjust the robot as long as it needs to be a kickass follow up for Gustav Robot.
I talked to Xris about Gustav a lot. He helped Henk to make these Gustav Robots... Xris his exact words:   " Henk did put way to much work in this robot, in fact they should cost over 700 dollars to make up for the time and materials "
Besides all the ideas we have, we also have to focus on the total costs for this robot, the materials and time..
of course, ALL can be done but think also about the work and the final result... to make a series of these will cost some serious time, handpainting is a bitch and printing takes many hours.
also the mechanism has to be adjusted, take apart and the legs and feet have to be painted...

Today I am working on a third tryout for the face, using metallic dark and light colors instead of black and white.
I also made a first tryout for the arms. I think they fit the body very well. They are small versions of the Daiya Ranger Robot :)

I will add some photos later today...

Marco

Here is sample 3 of Gosstavo` prototype

on this one I did not use black and white but metallic light and dark to make the contrast less towards the rest of the body. I followed the curves of the mouthpiece of Gustav. compared to the Logo "clownsface"  this makes it a more serious robot.
Also, this painting can be done in reasonable time.

In the pics you can also see the first testrun of the arms i had in mind for this robot...... SHOOT !

Marco.

DSC_0068.JPG

DSC_0069.JPG

DSC_0070.JPG

Hello Marco,

In my humble opinion I prefer prototype No 3 as the colours seem to blend better with the rest of the body.

I like the arms that you have fitted.

Henk's logo looks really difficult to replicate!

I think you hit the mark with this paint scheme. But the prototype arms look a little too short. The elbow should end just above the bottom rivets to be proportional to the body. Just my humble opinion. Great stuff!

Once started it looks there is no limit to time and because i was really curious how a complete gosstavo would look like, i put the first official prototype together :)
So... tadaaaaaa.... here are the first pictures of the birth of Gosstavo Prototype #1.
This is how our Gosstavo could look like.... tomorrow a free day so some time to let it settle down and to think the project over... so far so good...

SHOOOOOT !!! :)

Grtz from the Dutch Caves ......

Marco

DSC_0078.JPG

DSC_0079.JPG

DSC_0080.JPG

DSC_0081.JPG

DSC_0082.JPG

DSC_0083.JPG

Archived