Gustav 2.0 => Gosstavo Robot

marco

A couple of years ago, Xris handed me over a special box.  The box, a simple brown box with handwritten " GUSTAV " on it contained nothing less than everything you need to create a new Gustav Robot.  In the box i found finished and unfinished parts of the robot, drawings, tools and try-outs that never made it to the "production line".  A real treasure for sure... "It would be great to make a new run of Gustav Robots" were Xris his exact words :-) Well, that was a couple of years ago.
The box remained in the "Dutch Caves"  since than along with several other Gosses Project Boxes... As time is always the issue here I never had the time to start with a second run of this robot for several reasons.
First, the production method for this robot is absolute time consuming but more.... Its not that creative and fun to reproduce exactly a robot Henk already made.

Yes i got several requests over the years to fire up this project but every time something else got in between, until a couple of weeks ago. I dont know how but for some reason i talked with Gernot about Gustav and we both came up with a fantastic plan...
"what if"  Gernot said.. "what if we can do a new Gustav Robot Project for the 14th of May 2016 as a sort of commemoration... It has been exactly 10 years than, that Henk passed away and... that you found your first robot !" 
A fantastic idea and I started to think again about a plan for Gustav 2.0. and talked about this project with Gernot, Xris, and Martijn to share some ideas, ins and outs and a real plan to make a tribute to Henk.

Good ideas take time, lots of time but the date of 14th of May is not THAT far away anymore....
So here are the "blueprints" of Gustav 2.0.....
The name of the robot: Gosstavo Robot ( brilliant Martijn ! ) no changes have to be made here :)
We decided NOT to make an exact copy of Gustav Robot... First, I dont want to repeat Henks work. I think that the Gustavs Henk Made are enough in numbers and it would not be ok to make more exact copies of this robot. Lets respect the exclusivity of Gustav.
I want to create something " in between ", Combining old and new, use Henks prototypes and sample parts he left us behind, bring something extra in the robot and of course, combine it with new technology that Henk would have LOVED: 3-D printing !!
The robot will be a windup version, just as gustav, but with a "Split Personality", referring to Henks logo. I will, just like Henk did, use the mechanism, legs and feet of a reproduction sparky robot, but the body will be 3D printed, finished in 2 tone and will be absolutely in a far over the top quality as you can expect
from Robots being produced in the Netherlands :) There will be some modifications to the ears ( found these samples in the box ) and some other modifications as well to the body. Also the Gosstavo will be equipped with different arms. 

So a quite ambitious plan because it took me already a couple of days to make a good 3D file for the body. Have to think about the way how to print the body in high quality to keep all the details and there must also be room for the mechanism to fit in :) and.... I think I can expect some more challenges during the process so that is fun to do..

Here is a first picture of the modified body of Gosstavo to give you an idea of what can be expected...So here we go.... GUSTAV 2.0 ====>>> GOSSTAVO ROBOT.....
Marco

DSC_0081.JPG

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marco, this is a great idea, however, since you have the flexibility of 3D printing, why not make the "mask" match the robot face on Henk's logo? That would be the ultimate compliment to Mr. Gosses.

I am thrilled that you are creating this lovely reminder of our old friend Henk. Quite a few years ago I corresponded with Xris about acquiring a Gustav put together from the spare parts. Unfortunately,  for reasons unknown, once we agreed on the price, I never heard from him again.  I have sent several emails in the intervening years, but never a response. I assume the spare parts are the ones you now posses. Ah well, water under the bridge, i suppose. All the best with this project, Marco. It will be a fine tribute to Henk, whose humor and wisdom I still miss a decade later. Well done.

I'm totally in favor of this new project and how it is processed, I think it is a fabulous thing to bring back something fantastic and give my compliments

cheers

Marco, this is a great idea, however, since you have the flexibility of 3D printing, why not make the "mask" match the robot face on Henk's logo? That would be the ultimate compliment to Mr. Gosses.

quote :-)   The robot will be a windup version, just as gustav, but with a "Split Personality", referring to Henks logo.

I will bring the idea of Henks Logo back into Gosstavo's face but it I can not alter to much to the face, otherwise it i loose the connection to gustav.

By the way, its NOT the 3D printing that gives the flexibility... The printer only does what you tell it to do... simple as that :)
The problem lies in the fact how to tell the printer what to do and in which way... THERE is the challenge :)... 

More to come from the Dutch Caves !!

Marco 

I am thrilled that you are creating this lovely reminder of our old friend Henk. Quite a few years ago I corresponded with Xris about acquiring a Gustav put together from the spare parts. Unfortunately,  for reasons unknown, once we agreed on the price, I never heard from him again.  I have sent several emails in the intervening years, but never a response. I assume the spare parts are the ones you now posses. Ah well, water under the bridge, i suppose. All the best with this project, Marco. It will be a fine tribute to Henk, whose humor and wisdom I still miss a decade later. Well done.

I think the main reason is that there are not enough parts anymore to build up a complete gustav again.. the box has a lot of parts, tools etc but nothing is complete anymore.
Gosstavo will be indeed a tribute to Henk and will be THE change to own one... still some serious work to do here because I am also in the middle of producing Giant " little " Robots, the first run of 5 robots..
Will try this week to make a testrun of the Gosstavo body. will take aprox. 12 hours of printing time so I guess it will be a long day in the Dutch Caves again here :)

Keep you posted :-)
Marco

Today i finished the legs for 5 giant robots :) really fun to see them grow and grow bit by bit :)

Cheers....

DSC_0086.JPG

DSC_0085.JPG

Archived