Giant " Little " Robot

marco

What to do when a robot does not fit in your shelves ? you put it on the ground or you simply make it a bit smaller to make it fit between its brothers and sisters :)
I choose the last option and reduced the size of Tomy's Giant Robot.

As far as i can tell, this is the worlds FIRST completely 3D printed "VINTAGE"  Robot ! 
The robot is an exact copy of the original, resized to 35 % of its original size.
Can be taken apart just like its big brother and can be put together with bolds and nuts. 
Printed in the highest possible resolution of 0.1 micron to catch all the details. With 34 individual parts and a total printing time of almost 65 hours in 5 different colors not the easiest 
robot to create but it was all worth it... so lets welcome the worlds first complete printed vintage robot ! ;)

Marco

10486.jpg

image-name (1).jpg

image-name (2).jpg

image-name (3).jpg

image-name (4).jpg

image-name (5).jpg

image-name.jpg

10492.jpg

10491.jpg

10490.jpg

10489.jpg

10488.jpg

10487.jpg

10494.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now print one in middle of the road setting taking only 15 hours and compare the finished look. There might be a trade off point where things look good enough with out taking so long. I know it does not matter how long it takes when  you are just doing a one off project but the comparison would be interesting too see. 

Better than the big one! So that's why we have not heard so much from you recently. Must have been quite a job to scan the original. But also a piece well suited for this experiment.

Thanks guys and Yes Klaus... That is one of the reasons things were so quite over the past few months :-) 
I had to dive FULL into this material, i wanted to know all the ins and outs and I can tell you, a LOT of experimenting was done here... and still continues by the way :)

The robot fits a bit better in a collection now, better than the big one, which is still impressive but a stand in the way for many :)
Working on several other projects for the next few months so it can become quite again, although i will try to give some updates from time to time.

John, the middle of the road and looking good enough is not really an option here, at least not for me.  I took an other road, a totally different one and put all my focus on quality and high resolution. The digital files i made for this robot show NO loss of any detail, which is quite rare and unique.
To catch all the details in the final 3D print really needs long printingtimes at the highest possible resolution. Printing quicker means loss of details which will end up in a "blurry" final product... and I think we have all seen enough of those examples on the web over the years.
I dont want to mass produce these robots, I will only make 10 of these, wich will be a hell of a job by the way.. Maybe I will do a 5 piece run in gold if i can find the perfect filament to fit the color of the golden giant. but that will about it. I want these to stay exclusive. I already sold 5 of these in the first day they were on my website so people seem to appreciate the quality of this robot. In the meantime I can focus on new projects, still enough to explore here and the sky is the limit....

Here is an other example...I had an incomplete changeman lying around for years... All the parts were there except the DINO head. 
With this technique I was able to create a fitting head for the incomplete changeman, still have to build it up, its on my workbench for weeks but its ready to complete again.
The head is also 3D printed and than handpainted. For this counts the same as for Giant Robot... Only the highest quality will present all the details and although its 3 D printed, it gives the change to complete a robot again :-)

Take care, more to come ( I guess :)

Marco

DSC_1122.JPG

DSC_1123.JPG

DSC_1124.JPG

DSC_1125.JPG

DSC_1126.JPG

Archived