Space Ranger knife and sheath

Fineas J. Whoopie

A few weeks ago an image of this sheath was posted here but I can't find it now so I'm starting a new thread. The other thread if I remember correctly only showed the sheath but this one has a knife with it. Interestingly the knife is marked Occupied Japan which would date it between 1947 and 1953. Of course this could be a marriage. Hopefully I'll know a little more on that when I get it.

The idea of a space knife is well, a novelty. What's next - space brass knuckles?

s-l1600.jpg

The idea of a space knife is well, a novelty.

Actually, I grew up thinking no self-respecting spaceman or planeteer would be without a space knife in his spack. (space pack)

One of my favorite books when I was a kid was "Rip Foster Rides the Gray Planet". (or "Assignment in Space with Rip Foster" alternate title) 

An excerpt from the book:

spkn.jpg

That passage sounds like the inspiration for the light saber. Come to think of it the light saber (basically a space sword) isn't too far from a space knife.

• 4 months later...
On 2/2/2016 at 5:27 PM, Tinplate6 said:

Guys, it's not as crazy as you may think, obviously nobody told this fellow...

IMG_9439.jpg

"bringing a knife to a gun fight..."  he's about to get flipper smacked by that sensible alien.   Sheesh.
Great pic Tinplate6!

• 4 years later...

I picked up the "Space Pirate" version of this knife and thought I'd post pics, since the shape of the blade is different from the "Space Ranger" knife, and you can't tell from the other photo.  As you can see, it is marked, "Occupied Japan," but in a different location than the Space Ranger knife.  The handle looks the same as in the other photo, so I assume these pieces weren't married.

357473870_spacepirateknife01.jpeg.1bc1818bf91bfc06557d6e5fb48d9360.jpeg

861818923_spacepirateknife02.jpeg.96ffbbbba92e42ddbeef8a65906bd3fd.jpeg

Also, while browsing around the old threads, I came across this discussion of a space gun and holster.  I mention it because the styling of the holster is identical to the knife sheath, and the date of manufacture (1947-1953) might help figure out what gun is supposed to go with it.

Also also, I realize this is an old argument, but I take issue with Fineas's original disparagement of space knives.  John Carter and Flash Gordon fought with swords a lot; it wouldn't surprise me if they mixed it up with a knife, once in a while.  And everybody in DUNE had a knife.  I mean EVERYBODY.  And don't get me started with the Klingons.