Super TV Robot: REPAIRING SUPER TV ROBOT; ANY ADVICE?

loradollbot

Hi there!

I have a few defect robots in my collection, but this is one I would really like to work - the Super TV Robot from Hong Kong. The screen still lights up, and it is making all the correct sounds, but it just won't move, no bumping or going! When it is shaken you can clearly hear something loose inside. I have never repaired any of my bots before because I don't know enough about the mechanisms inside and was scared I would break them. But I realise this is something I need to learn to have functioning robots. I can't find any information on how to repair them though. Does anyone have any advice or could point me in the right direction please? Where's a robot manual when you need one?! ;)

Thanks in advance!

'Super TV Robot' bump n' go, made in Hong Kong.jpg

I don't have one of these, but looking at others that are available to see online there appears to be screws accessible on its back, try to remove the screws and remove the back piece. That should reveal the problem, could be a broken plastic gear that is rattling around inside.

Besides the four apparent screws holding the body halves together, there is a fifth screw "hiding" under the battery cover. I agree with MRH. It's probably a split and dislodged pinion gear. A quick google search will yield lots of replacements available, like this company:

http://www.dx.com/p/diy-plastic-shaft-gear-10-pcs-229126?tc=USD&gclid=COKJutHr08oCFQoqHwodlA0KXw#.Vq3hv8v2bIU

Good luck and welcome to Alphadrome.

Thanks for the advice guys! 

And Joe K., the link is really helpful. I wouldn't even know how to look parts up on Google because I (ashamedly really!) don't know what is what (yet!). :wacko:

Cheers!

The gears are usually measured using the metric system, the measurement for the pinion gear on the Attacking Martian for example is  8 tooth-5mm-5mm-1.9 

8 cog teeth 

5 millimeter length 

5 millimeter width 

1.9 millimeter bore hole

the axle from the motor is metal and it is 2 mm but the pinion gear is plastic, so in order for the gear to fit tight it must be .1 mm smaller. ( this is the reason these gears always split )

If the axle and gear were metal then the axle width and gear bore hole would be the same and the gear would have to be pressed on 

If both were plastic the measurements would be the same and locktite ( professional super glue ) would be used to insure a tight fit.

Wow, thanks for such detailed information!  This will be very helpful. Maybe I will get a friend with more of a technical brain to help me , just to be sure!  ;-) 

When you say it makes the correct sounds are you refering to the electronic sounds that It makes or the mechanical motor sound. If the motor is not running then that is a different repair from a pinon gear replacement. 

On page 27 of the robot hut collection you can see 7 different variations of this robot.

http://www.robothut.robotnut.com/rhbp27.html

• Brian.. changed the title to Super TV Robot: REPAIRING SUPER TV ROBOT; ANY ADVICE?

Archived