HaHa Planet with plastic hands

MetalRobotHead

Bit quiet on the drome, so a question. Did HaHa ever make a Planet Robot with plastic hands, or has somebody removed the metal ones and replaced them?

HaHa Planet plastic hands.JPG

Hi MRH

There was one in the November 2009 vectis auction, same copy box too. Estimated £30 to £50. It didn't sell. Maybe I just haven't noticed but I don't recall seeing any HA Ha ones with plastic hands but then I haven't been looking for one particularly.

One I did some time ago, hands came from  repro gear robot, I've never seen another Ha Ha Planet with plastic hands, apart from the black one.

blue planet plastic hand web.jpg

I still find it odd that the repro Planet Robots all have a 'mouth' curve that doesn't meet with the shoulders as the originals did. Realized that right away when I bought one new about 13 or so years ago.

If you look at it in the box, there is a piece of cardboard that fits right inside that gap.  They probably

made the gap just for the cardboard to fit  to make the robot more sturdy in the box.

I can't prove it but I have a vague recollection of some of the Planet Robot repros coming out with the plastic hands. I remember thinking that it made sense because they were already making the hands for the High Wheel repros.

Hi MRH

There was one in the November 2009 vectis auction, same copy box too. Estimated £30 to £50. It didn't sell. Maybe I just haven't noticed but I don't recall seeing any HA Ha ones with plastic hands but then I haven't been looking for one particularly.

Hi Ranger hope you don't mind me quoting, out of curiosity I checked out the unsold Ha Ha Planet, assuming it is the one you mentioned but it is a genuine later issue KO Yoshiya Planet with the plastic head and ears. This is the Vectis description "Ha Ha Toys (China) reproduction Planet Robot - recently issued copy of the 60s Robot, black, with red shoes, plated undersides, red plastic hands, light fading of the plating to the key otherwise Near Mint in a Excellent reproduction box with ST markings to lid, 25cm."

Typical of Vectis to get it wrong, their speciality is diecast model cars, Corgi, Dinky, Spot-On, and so on. Not so good when it comes to Robots. Here is their photo of the so called Ha Ha Planet Robot. Looking at Vectis ended Planet Robots auctions over the years, seems like they failed to sell several Planets.

BTW - Is it my monitor that is distorting the box of the subject one at the top, or is it wider than the original to accommodate the wider spread of the plastic hands?

KO Planet Robot Vectis.jpg

Hi MRH

No problem, I didn't look close enough at the vectis auction. Re the Ha Ha with the plastic hands, I liked the look of it and had in fact bought it before I saw the post you started about it. I figured I would wait until I got it and could see it for myself.  It arrived yesterday. I can confirm that though it looks good, it's not a ha ha factory production robot in my opinion. The plastic hands have been glued in and not with enough care either. As I say, it displays well but was a bit of a waste of money to be honest. I could have and should have done the job myself. I suppose it would maybe cost the best part of £30 or more to buy a planet and a high wheel to create it and then you end up with 2 armless robot's so maybe it's not too bad. Maybe a high wheel with metal claw hands!  So, unless more turn up and with some evidence that Ha ha did produce the plastic hands version,as it stands if this one is anything to go by....they didn't.  I would think Jay Brotter would know? He has been to the factory before I believe?

KINDLE_CAMERA_1451564846000.jpg

Archived