Dux - Astroman Instruction Sheet

robothut

post-2-1100970883.jpgpost-2-1100970883.jpgHere are some pictures of the origional instructions for the DUX Astroman. They are printed on a single piece of paper that is 8.25 inches tall and 16.5 inches long, the paer is folded in to 3 sections and printed on both sides. when properly folded up the page with the news paper artical is the cover page. It would be cool if some one would leet us english readers know waht this news paper article says, all I can make out is the word New York and date of 1964.

this first picture is of the back of the instructions, this section on the right side becomes the cover (top) page when folded up.

dux1.jpg

post-2-1100970883.jpg

This is the other side of the paper nd would make up pages 1,2 and 3 of the instructions. I will post individual images of each page, these full page shoots are just so you can see how it goes together.

post-2-1100971028.jpgdux2.jpg

just the cover page, sorry about the yellow tint, the light source I used caused this, the first 2 over all shoots were with flash so they show the true color of the paper better. The next 6 shots will all have this yellow tint as I used the same light source.

post-2-1100971200.jpgdux3.jpg

Well with aliitle photo shop work to de yellow the pages and conect them together you can print out your own set, until you find the real thing. Yea I thought I was told that Dux came before Mr Mercury also but not if they came out in 1964. So it will be interesting if Henk or 9tobor9 decide to translate the cover page for us to see what it says. Maybe the toy had a long production life, but if that were the case then why would they be so rare and expencive?

OK - Gentlemen ... You All seem to have forgotten what our collections are all about:

FUTURE TOYS !!!

This instruction sheet is the evidence that the Dux Astroman is before 1964!

The 1964 text should beam the DUX Astroman from 1959/60 to 1964. It is printed like a newspaper article. It says: ( in memoriam to JFK's future visions (...or was it Werner von Braun???) ) :

ROBOT ON THE MOON

Last radio report from space ship 1

New York, 16. Juli 1964

(... from the moon landing team...)

We are sittin`in the sight seeing dome at the top point of the pressurized cabin & we are watching the robots work .......a.s.o.

Sorry - I'm not the best translater. But someone should have the english version. Here is my original german instruction paper.

dux_sheet_a.JPG

post-2-1100994796.jpg

SH MIKE said:
When a Patent is applied for, the toy is usually already out.

That is why they look so much like the finished product.

When the patent is applied for is always before the toy goes into production, only a prototype might exisit, by the time the patent is "granted" the toy is normaly already out, thats why most toys that have a patent show the "patent applied for numbers" and do not say patent number. to release a toy before they have applied for the patent means any one can steel the idea.

Between the meager bits I remember of high-school French, and some online French/English for the tough spots....If anyone actually fluent finds any glaring errors, please feel free to correct me..... 😛

Robots on the moon!

Last radio message of the interplanetary vehicle 1.

New York 16 July 1964

We have just received, from the crew of the space ship which four days ago landed successfully in perfect shape on the moon, the following radio message:

We are on the observation port at the highest part of the pressurized cabin,and watching our robots working. Clark is seated in the central remote control and transmits his orders to them. They are clearing away rubble, laboriously removing pieces of rock and with the help of the bulldozer leveling the terrain for the lunar station. The robots can start the construction of this just as soon as the interplanetary vehicle carrying the neccessary construction parts has landed.

Our robots are quite happy at the loftiness of their job. Because the atmosphere is absent here, the sun radiates without pity and with blazing heat inside our crater. In the shade of the crater wall reigns the icy cold of space. However, our brave robots work with eagerness, and without concerning themselves, while we are not able to move away from the sphere of protection of the space ship. We have sufficient oxygen. The pressurized cabin and the installed air-conditioning are function perfectly. We will repeat our message again tomorrow at the same hour.

****and the caption in red at the bottom****

We will be reading the same thing in the newspaper or something similar in a few years.

robobob - thank you very much for your fine translation. John - in case of the Dux Astromen the patent date is evident. The time when this toy shows up in the shops (59/60) is evident too. During the years I have had a few contacts to people who get their Dux Astroman on x-mas 1960 ( for example) or in that time. I know a collector in switzerland ( Fifo can you hear me...?) who wants to have this toy for his birthday at that time - but ma was not willin' to buy it... <_<

Archived