Anselme Galaxie French Space Gun

Brian..

A few years ago Rocket posted this beautiful chrome plastic French space gun, described as coming from a Galaxie set.

post-177-1232873258.jpg

Beautiful indeed. Now, here's an interesting variation of the same gun:

fgsd.thumb.jpg.e281b286a97341d65691a1416

It's less chrome, more of a matt finish, and the lines look crisper. The killer feature, though, is that red plastic tear shaped spark window on the side that links it to the Space Outlaw guns. It also suggests that it's an older design because the other version has a tear-shaped panel with cross hatching in its place. The removal of the spark window has necessitated the redesign.  Of course I don't think it actually sparks, I believe it just clicks.

Can anyone shed light on the maker Anselme?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6Stelab9

• bigbang

• Brian..

• Tinplate6

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Form an orderly queue, Alessandro. :biggrin:

I found a site full of French catalogs and after an hour's trawl I located it in the CIBON catalog for 1970.  

The Panoplie Cosmonaute, or Spaceman's Outfit.

cosmonaute.thumb.jpg.3c96fb9c0da6f5bbb7a

• 3 weeks later...

The version without the red lens was used in a variety of boxed costumes including a couple of space outfits and a Spider Man outfit.  Some include a holster.  I have a few of these in inventory including this holster set.

1_French_Chrome_1.thumb.jpg.f34d9d16a13e

I have one of these, it's a nice piece, and very large for a child's toy. I'm surprised at the 1970 date, I'd have thought it was older. This is the first I'd seen of the red lens version.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, an interesting point here; the photo shows the gun displayed with a model of the Apollo mission Saturn rocket, now this could have been taken as far back as 1967 or 68. The first scheduled launch of Apollo 1 was in February of 1967, but there was a fire on the launch pad which killed all 3 astronauts. The second actual launch was October 1968. However, this plastic rocket model could have been available before that.

This could go the other way as well, as the last mission; Apollo 17 was  December of 1972. Therefore, this picture could have been taken anytime between 1968-1972. However, since we are going with the theory that the red lens version is older, the earlier dates seem more plausible.

Brian, your theory makes sense, why would they cut out a panel in an existing product to embellish the design? Although, perhaps the item's sales were falling and they wanted to freshen it up a bit, that's really a tough call. At the very least we do have a firm date that the lens version did exist in the 1970 catalog. 

Ok, let's look at it from the view that it was a French version of the Space Outlaw gun; the database states this about the British pistol:

"Currently the earliest sighting is in a BCM catalog for 1955. The gun appears in the Ealing film "The Long Arm" in 1956."

If we assume it was copied from that gun, this could be much older, and the lens would have been included in the initial design, only to be removed later.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the boxed Spider man costume. All red with black details. Different from the one in the above ad.  It includes the space gun.

On 24/08/2017 at 3:34 PM, bigbang said:

I have the boxed Spider man costume. All red with black details. Different from the one in the above ad.  It includes the space gun.

A picture  of the boxed Spider man costume  would be great!