Atomic Robot Girl's Collection

Atomic Robot Girl

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Guys what a lovely friendly bunch you are! Thanks everyone for such a warm welcome, Alphadrome has to be the friendliest and one of the most interesting forums that I've ever joined. 

I have been so busy that I haven't had a proper chance to take any nice photos, but I have quickly taken these. I thought you might also like my robot oil paintings one done by myself the other by the lovely Mr Greg Reed. Nice and small to keep Brian's server happy 

X

My handsome boys!

IMG_0365.JPG

Robot by moi

IMG_0367.JPG

Robot girl by Greg Reed

IMG_0369.JPG

Told you you would have fun on here. 9 post in 24 hours!!!!

Glad to see my 2 robots have gone to a good home, parting with a Atomic Robot Man is like selling a puppy. Have you turned the lights out yet when you are looking at the Dux, try it.

Cool pics, is it inspired by this then?

Screen_shot_2015-11-05_at_19.36.54.thumbScreen_shot_2015-11-05_at_19.36.29.thumb

cheers Chilli

ARG, your roto-robot appears in your pic as the brown version rather than the dark grey.  I believe there are a number of versions, grey, brown, gold with some having the orange dashes around the guns, others don't. There's also a striped bowtie version. I believe Dirk has a full set including the more garish (just my opinion) rarer european chromed versions known as 'Estrella Robot' among others.  

The 'brown' version is the first robot I ever had as a collector about 1976 or so, bought him at Goodwill for 25c.  Dropped the bag on my way out the door and smashed his legs off. I tinkered to get him working again and did a horrible patch job with molten styrene but he DID work.  Threw him away when I got my grey version (you can see him under Morbius Collection here on Alphadrome) in '83.  I wasn't aware of other collectors of this stuff until the Steven Sansweet article in Sept. 1979 Starlog Magazine which set me off to greater items, and from then collected whenever I could find some off an on for the next 10 years or so, from there it was 15 or so years quite stagnant with collecting until I found Alphadrome and I'm glad I did as I've been able to add more scarce items since then.

I was going to mention about the great dealings within the group (as we know where the 'bots/space toys are coming from and we stand behind them) but you just had to start ARG off in a great way, didn't you Chilli!!  Now I don't have to mention it.:breakit:

Pure chance Morbius, A.R.G. bought both of mine from U.K. ebay. I was really pleased when she sent a lovely email saying how much she liked them so I thought I had to talk her in to joining up. We swapped about 15 emails in 4 hours, so geekiness is in her blood already. Not taken her long to find her feet either, and I get a feeling she is going to be fun.

cheers

Chilli

Pure chance Morbius, A.R.G. bought both of mine from U.K. ebay. I was really pleased when she sent a lovely email saying how much she liked them so I thought I had to talk her in to joining up. We swapped about 15 emails in 4 hours, so geekiness is in her blood already. Not taken her long to find her feet either, and I get a feeling she is going to be fun.

cheers

Chilli

That is great,chilli.Seriously a cool story,now just turn that charm on some more so we can balance this out a little and get even more cool gals to join the site!! Not at all that I get bored talking to you guys all the time but if your feeling is right, some fun girls joining in the collecting hobby would be ultra-refreshing! :hail:

Great oil painting,ARG.Truth be told, some mornings my robots look just like that to me until my eyes clear up! Have you checked out the other forums here such as "space artwork" or "private collections"? If you have more robot/space works you might let us see them in space artwork as you get time.:thumbs:

Beautiful painting you created ARG!  My wife was quite impressed as well(she's quite the artist herself). 

Most excellent that you were able to purchase a couple of wonderful additions from Chilli and he steered you in the direction of Alphadrome!  You will not regret signing up!  

Enjoy😃

image.jpeg

I just wake up this morning,i didn't  see my son for two days,work,work...But for sure i want to see again here what are you guys posting,cool story,

Is a great adventure to be here and reed all see what is new! 

@chilli when I painted robot I was not really aware of ARM but I knew in my head the look that I wanted him to have - old and metal. If you look closely you will see that he has two black eyes and a heart. This picture represents me escaping from a violent 22 year relationship, leaving everything, for a life unknown - Escaping, broken, beaten and scared but with an unyielding down to the metal desire to survive into....... The future! And here I am now strong, happy and in robot land!! 
I can totally believe that puppy thing, and yes one of the first things I did was check Dux out in the dark awesome! Can you believe that I won both robots in a matter of minutes - I was delighted and screaming yes! Yes! LOL! 

@Morbius I have had a look at the different versions and to be honest I rather like him - he has a beautiful face, I tend to go for the more severe hard scary looking robots more than the friendly toy looking ones. I love to think how it was living in the start of the atomic age - petrified by being annihilated by a nuclear attack. Dux's glow in the dark head must of been terrifying really at the time.... So my roto was my first robot too, he is fragile, and working but keeps falling backwards - I am determined to repair him, other than that he is in great condition. How could you throw yours away? Naughty Morbius! ;) Yes I am so happy to find this group of geeks, and I have already been offered some very nice bots. I can see my shoe collection is going to suffer from my new collecting! I will check out the grey version... I was under the impression that nobody quite knew which order the different versions were released but the one on the box is thought to be the original... Is this the grey one?

@Ultrarobotman Ha ha you like the eBay story, its great isn't it! I hope that more girls do get involved but I find sadly that none of my girlfriends share my passion for geekiness. When I start talking code they all fall asleep lol! As for robot collecting I know are going to roll their eyes and say "She's doing it again" They are in owe of my vinyl collection but tatty old robots I think not. Thanks very nice to get compliments about my art and yes I did peep into the art forum very quickly and I did look through a few collections, I wish I had more time to browse... 

@Roboto Thank you :biggrin:

@I Robot Thank you also and its great that you showed your wife that is rather cool.... Yes I was very fortunate to get my bots that pleasant day on E bay.... I was so determined to win at least one of them but both was very exciting!!! I do love this forum already, thank you 

@stefan_03 I know isn't it cool here...  but yes life and work gets in the way of time spent here.... I love that you say its a great adventure it is for me too! The painting was one of those ones that you think about more than actually painting it, I did it in one day with the help of my tutor in an art class who I have been very influenced by and he painted the robot girl painting posted with mine..... I later went on to marry him he is my soul mate/nerd! I have never been so happy and as you can imagine that painting means so much to me, lots of people are wanting to buy him but I will never let him go. I have only just got him back from exhibition and now he is home where he belongs. 

You and Greg seem to be so much in tune on your painting style, that's great in a partnership. My partner is pretty much in tune with me and enjoys nothing more than taking a spoon out of hot tea , coming up behind me and placing it on any bare flesh!!!! My sense of humour i guess, and the fact she had the complete set of "carry on" films

The art work of the  ARMs box always sends a shiver down my spine. It was made about 1948, carries the words Made in occupied Japan, and shows a metalic "cockroach" walking out of a city after an atomic bomb attack and resulting cloud, the low angle of the drawing suggests defience and power.  This coming from a country that had 2 years earlier had the biggest bomb ever dropped on them , and it being exported to America of all places. Yes, symbol of survival indeed

Chilli ( in deep though mode)

Archived