Laser Bond

Joe K.

I wonder just how much juice is in the big pen? I bet not much. But it sound like the same stuff they use to repair chipped windshields, a clear resin that is water thin and only cures with UV light. Could be a good thing to have around. I will wait until its for sale localy from a store that I trust and can return if it's crap.

I bought it to fix my Trendmasters Jupiter 2. I went to pull the landing gear down one day to display it and found one of the support posts was broken from the base of the landing gear. I tried Zap and that didn't work and it's not styrene, so model cement won't work. So why not give this stuff a shot. I'll keep  you all posted.

I had used UV curable adhesives on & off for about the last 25 years of my career (retired 6yrs ago) in optical & sensor research. The success of this particular product will probably hinge on two factors-

1) Which adhesive did they choose? There are hundreds- some flexible, some hard, some with optical clarity, some with better adhesion on different materials than others, etc..

2) How strong is the cure light? With low power lights, short exposure times, or thick applications, you often get a "surface cure" with the deepest part of the bond (usually at the point where the two pieces meet) not fully cured or even still liquid. And, of course, it must be the proper wavelength, or wavelengths.

I will be interested to hear reports on the success or failure in toy repair & custom builds.

• 1 month later...

Well, my Laser Bond showed up the other day. And I had to put it to the test with my new Forbidden Planet Blaster. The stand for it would not stay in the base. Every time I put the gun on it, it fell off and the gun  hit the table. So I put a small bead of Laser Bond along the seam where the holder attaches to the stand and using the light, within seconds, it hardened (as promised) and now the base stays together. So I guess the stuff works...at least for something like this.

Archived