New Starwars toys out, RC BB*

robothut

I ordered the RC BB robot from Bed Bath and Beyond. They sent me an email advertising it and claim it's in stock. It had a video...it looks pretty cool. It rolls just like the one in the movie...looks like a lot of magnets used. I'll post a video when it arrives.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/bb-8-remote-controlled-toy-star-wars-the-force-128264274727.html

The toy, which measures about 3 inches in diameter, is made by Sphero, the robotics company that built the actual BB-8 — the hyperactive droid who’s already won the hearts and minds of fans via the film’s early teaser-trailers. It’s controlled by an app on users’ smartphones, allowing them to steer the little ‘bot around tight corners and anywhere else a tiny ball can roll. The phone app can also create an enhanced reality video that not only records your BB-8′s movements, but make it look like the droid is projecting video, a la R2-D2′s broadcast of Princess Leia’s desperate message to Obi-Wan Kenobi.

The droid can move on its own, too; that’s called Patrol Mode. And don’t worry about it wandering into a puddle or falling into a pool, as this BB-8 is waterproof.

The small droid comes with a big price tag: The first version of the toy will cost $149.99, though there’s a cheaper remote-controlled BB-8 that will go for half that steep price.

They won't be hard to find. They are already flooding ebay. I counted 84 listings for the new BB8 out of the first 200 newest listings under robots, monsters and space toys.

Watched the video again, the Conures got a glimse of it rolling about...had to take 'em outside and hose them down to calm them after seeing it.   :eeek:

Beautiful toy, but I wonder if you can still play with this in 5 or 10 or 15 years. I hate tablet/phone controlled toys. They are made for today only, not for tomorrow. :(

Yes I did not even think about buying one just because of the fact that you have to have a smart phone to control it. And as already stated, its just a matter of time before that tech, changes so that you can not play with it. They need to offer a dedicated remote for it , or some one needs to hack one together and post it so other can build a dedicated remote.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, BB8 just arrive, courtesy of FedEx, and I must admit he is very cool. He comes in his own shipping container, and the set-up takes only minutes.

image.thumb.jpg.6465317b8b89e20b05438c1d

image.thumb.jpg.e7aaba0de2246ed6d45a96b0

Once he is unpacked and assembled (just placing the head on the body) he is ready to go. In fact, the most effort involved was downloading the app.

image.thumb.jpg.35da0916af08334263b3525f

He rolls well on bare floors and short pile carpets. The app is very easy to use, and plays the full orchestral Star Wars theme song as you operate the features. The droid's voice comes through the app, not the toy itself. The holographic message feature is a real trip!

I haven't tried all the commands yet, but it is quite an amazing toy!

Archived