Bi Ped AlphaBot concept. Your thoughts ?

robothut

Great video on programming the mini maestro John.  The way you explain everything makes it seem realatively uncomplicated.  

I find it fascinating how the programming translates into the bipeds movements.  Thanks for posting the video and for all your efforts😃

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are some pictures of the Cad files printed out in card board so that I can cheeply test fit part together and make changes.i found I had made some errors and was able to correct them and test fit the parts. The E machine shop can do CNC bending as well but that would almost double the price of the parts so we will not be able to go that way. I will end up hand bending them on a small metal break that I have. The only problem with that is each part will be just a little different so some will fit together better than other, but such is life.

DSC01196.jpg

DSC01197.jpg

DSC01198.jpg

Looking good John, great work!

Sorry re the insert from tinman, I can't seem to get rid of it when I am trying to post. Maybe it will disappear now?

Hi John,

this is fantastic! I know i am steppin in kinda late but if you are still taking orders i would love one! Need to add some more pieces to my JR collection!

The servos with metal gears and ball bearing arrived and have been added to the new legs and feet of prototype Bi Ped Alphabot #2. here is a you tube link.

https://youtu.be/eSbxdo0CWAA

you can see the robot walk forward then backward then turn to the side , do a few stretches and then it would repeat the actions.

Next I hope to be able to test out the 3d printed leg and feet design to see how it works compared with the metal leg and feet design. Also I am working on a cosmetic concept that will be very cool if it works out.

metalgear4.jpg

metalgear1.jpg

metalgear2.jpg

The 3d printed legs and feet will be based on plastic mock up legs and feet that I hand built for the CAD guys at INFINETIX to work from. Here are a few pictures of one of the mock up leg / foot units.

metalgear6.jpg

metalgear7.jpg

metalgear8.jpg

Excellent work John. This is already one of my favourite all time robots, great to look at a fascinating to watch in action. Bi- Ped Alphabot #2 would be most welcome to live here with #1 should you want to sell him sometime as well! :thumbs:

Hi John, I know I mentioned I wanted one for myself. But I showed my wife the video and she wants one too, for herself. So I guess that would be two for the Netzel household...if it's not a problem. If it's too late, I understand. But she loved it and wants to take it to work and show it off to the engineers...she's very impressed.

If there are extra bots looking for homes then I am fine with 2 going to the same family. Right now the build looks to be 20 and there are 18 individuals in this thread saying they are in. So as long as I am able to build 20 bots and less than 20 persons want one then you and the wife can both have one, we just have to be fair to every one and have some fun at the same time. There will be a update very soon on the project .

The video was great , nice action ! I may be interested in a pair if they're still available 

After Ken of course & perhaps any dropouts ; ) 

I placed the order for 20 sets of metal parts, this would be the 7 parts that make up the body. The legs are just about done in 3d cad and the 3d printer should be making a test run this week. If the 3d printed legs do not work then a order for metal parts will have to be worked up. 

I also have  worked out the new look for the bi Ped Alphabot. The R2 and Robby mash up that I did based on the post of the artwork gave me the idea that a Robby and AlphaBot mash up would be very cool. The spread legs look of Alphabot is so much like the Robby poster. So I made a master face plate design and heart box and ear cones for the scanners and new arm / 3 finger gloves. The made silicon rubber molds from the master and cast up some parts. It is designed so that a dome could be added and I did a test of a thermal formed dome for prototype. A soft iron "gun metal" paint was used. I can't wait to see how it looks with the larger diemention 3d printed legs, but for now it has my thin metal legs. There are 6 brain lights flashing in place of the sax valves. The mouth grill is slit and hollow so that if my plans of adding a sound chip work out then there will be sound as well that can be controlled "triggered" by the Pololu unit.

DSC01236.jpg

DSC01237.jpg

DSC01238.jpg

DSC01239.jpg

Here is a video link to the new look.

https://youtu.be/YVaOgWqAr2c

When doing the thermal foarming of the test dome I made a wood block the shape of what I wanted the dome to be, then a wood frame to hold the plastic and a second frame to pull "form" the plastic in a ginst the wood master. P.E.T. plastic is the best type for a job like this, it is used for the clear bottles of watter and soda you drink as well as clear blister packed things. Its so much work to make a single dome even out of old thin blister wrap plastic that I do not think that the dome will be part of the build. but it may become a separate project down the road if I found a shop to do it cheep enough.

DSC01231.jpg

DSC01232.jpg

DSC01233.jpg

DSC01235.jpg

The video link is of the robot before I moved the heart box up higher in the chest area and before I added the top of the head "gyro area" part.

I hate when the alphadrome system merges all my posts in to one post, it makes it very hard to edit some things.

Here are more pictures.

DSC01219.jpg

DSC01206.jpg

DSC01205.jpg

DSC01220.jpg

Absolutely amazing work as always!!  Don't know where to put him now, with the Robbys or with the Alphabots???

Thank you for all your work John, you know how much we appreciate this type of art from you.

Archived