Bi Ped AlphaBot concept. Your thoughts ?

robothut

Here is a you tube link for a concept project for a BiPed AlphaBot. It has 6 servo's and is under processor control. This concept bot is very crude but was built just to test the ability of the small cheep servos to move the metal mass and batterys.

https://youtu.be/i35zdH71o98

DSC01115.jpg

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So if I move forward with this project I would want to know how many might be interested in haveing one. The idea would be the same as the original Alphabot build in that the metal parts will be laser cut, I will most likely do the metal bending to save cost as I want the project to come in at about $100 bucks or less. So in keeping with that plan the first thing I had to do was find a programmable servo controller and servos that were cheep enough but could do the job. The Pololu mini maestro 6 is under $20 bucks and cheeper in quantitys and can control 6 servo's. The mini 9 gram servos are off Ebay and can be had for about $2 bucks each, if we want to get better servo's that have bearings and metal gears then your in the $6 bucks range. That makes a big difference in the price one way you spend $12 bucks for all the servo's in a bot and the other way you spend $36 bucks. I have to work out if I want the feet to be metal or cast in resin or 3d printed, same with the arms. The arms are held on to servo shaft with magnets so that the arms can be posed and to save the servos from damage if some one tries to twist the arms around to far. In this concept bot I have used bight Red and Green LED's for the eys, they do not show up well in the video as most cheep cameras do not like bright LED's, but they are controllable from being OFF to ON either Red or Green. We could dump that function to be just single color LED eyes and add a 7th servo for a rotating antenna effect if we wanted. My thought was that there might be some of you that would like to have a modern computer controlled servo biped robot in your collection but just can not afford it, so if the price low enough and a AlphaBot design you might be able to swing it. The project has a long ways to go but thought it would be good to get feedback and get a ruff head count so when I get ready to get price quotes for metal work I have number to give them.

Here is Pololu controller, its about the size of your thumb tip.

0J1954.1200.jpg

So its owner would program it through the P.C. then it does its thing...do we need extraordinary computer skills to master one of these?:breakit:

Please put me down for one, metal gears would be better.

Great work, one for me please, I'm thinking the upgraded parts would be best with metal gears, just for peace  of mind.

The plan is they would come programmed with some demo show. Maybe you could comment on what type of demo show you would like ? But any of you could reprogram the robot if you wanted too, the program soft ware is free too down load from the  Pololu web site. You can program the robot by simply connecting the bot to your computer and then dragging slider's  around. Or if you like writing code you can do it that way too. link to soft ware down load for those that want to look it over. https://www.pololu.com/docs/0J40/3.a

or the user guide section can be found here. https://www.pololu.com/docs/0J40

If the project gets that far then I can do a video on how to change the demo program. There is no way the project would be done by Xmass with luck maybe by next Botstock as I do not work in the winter "cold shop" any more, just to old and to many things hurt. So if we go metal gears the cost will be higher, maybe just the metal gears on the 4 leg servos, use the cheep servos on the arms. The main thing for now is just your feedback on the project like you have been doing "thank you" and a head count of those interested so when I get to the point of working out the costs I know how many bots are involved.

Archived