Bi Ped AlphaBot concept. Your thoughts ?

robothut

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The "flat body base plate instead of the angled mount" reduces to motion of the body. The motion was more spectecular with the angled mount. For me the fun is in the motion, not in easy programming. Also the angled mount is true to the Alphabot-classic shape. I'd prefer the first design.

Just my two cents. I'd like to get one of these anyway.

Damn, it would be great if a robot could be built with a large gyroscope inside it, imagine the balancing tricks it could do then. Not suggesting that for the alphabot but just thinking aloud.

cheers

Chilli

Gyro bots have been done. Tommys Walking robo and sold in the USA as Power Marchers with monster body's instead of robot body's. I have both in the Hut, they are RC controlled. When you turn them on the first thing you hear the motor driven gyros getting up to speed, then the remote just turns on the leg lifting action.

This link, second shelf center.

http://www.robothut.robotnut.com/rhbp30.html

and here is the thread on a gyro bot guts that you can print out in a 3d printer. I have contacted a person with a 3d printer to print me up a set of parts so we will see.

• 2 weeks later...

looks great john, count me in for one. 

it will stand very well with the other two john rigg creations i have in my collection already.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a link to my you tube video on how to program the Pololu mini maestro useing the mini maestro control center . At the end of the video you can see the program being run on the robot.

https://youtu.be/qsigf0xahSI

What I want to do now is build up a second robot. I want to try some new Metal gear servos that do have ball bearings . The new servos are a bit deeper in size so I need to make new legs and feet. I also would like to work with a local shop to see if 3d printed arms,  feet and legs would work. So I need money if I want to keep going. I will keep going even if I do not get money it will just slow things down. So I want to know if any of you might want to buy this first Concept bi ped AlphaBot as seen in the programing video. If interested make your offer before the end of the month 'Sep 2015". Like  I said even if no one wants this first off beat up bot thats cool I will keep going , it will just take me longer to save up for new materials. So check out the For sale section for information on how to help fund the project or  you can always just email me at the robothut "at" yahoo.com. High bid get's the R&D concept  bot. Two of my pump action robots are for sale as well.

Here are some pictures of the bot. Yep lots of holes and filled in areas where I tried all sorts of experiments on this guy. notice that I am running him on dollar store batteries, I wanted to see how well they would work in a robot that has 6 servos and LED effects. Not to bad for a buck. You know when its time to change the batteries as the servo's will start shaking and acting funny.

DSC01174.jpg

DSC01176.jpg

DSC01177.jpg

Seems rather "complicated" for someone not computer savvy like me. But the video seems quite clear and I'm sure if I follow it closely, I should have no problem. Great and helpful video. Thanks, John, for posting it.

Its fun Ken, you will not have to program the bot but if you want too then the video will be of help. Here is a link to the For sale secion where i have the Bi Ped alphadbot and two of my Pump action robot conversions up for sal to raise some bucks.

• 2 weeks later...

As I wait for the new servos with metal gears and ball bearing to arrive to test out I have been laying out in CAD the metal body parts. I am using a on line company called E Machine Shop. The good thing is they give you a CAD program to use, the bad part is it out puts files that only they can use so you can't then take your design some place else to have it done. So the picture is of the 7 main body parts. To keep costs down they are grouped together and will be made in 0.031 aluminum. No way to test the CAD lay out with out spending big bucks so I will try and print out the files on card stock and test fit them together that way.I have also got a local company looking in to 3d printing the arms , legs and feet. We will see what comes of that in time as they are doing the work for the fun of it as time filler.

RobotPartSet7.jpg

Yes you could, but not with E machine shop on line. They do not do lazer cutting or plazma cutting they only do CNC routing, So I have had to take all my drawings and re do them so there are not sharp or square type corners, inside cut outs as well as out side have to be rounded. A lazer shop could  take the paper craft out lines and make CAD files to work from. CNC work is cheaper most times and this Bi Ped Alphabot project is big in scope and small in per unit costs. Based on the people that have said they would like one I am working on a build size of 20 bots, so the materials list and pricing will be based on that, unless things change before I start ordering parts.

Archived