Bi Ped AlphaBot concept. Your thoughts ?

robothut

I love it! Please count one for me.

I'd also prefer the metal gear servos.

The demo as in YouTube is already most impressing. The free twisting sequence is lovely. Perhaps add a bit of standard walking, maybe back to the place where the motion startet from, and that's it for me.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The software runs only on Windows. If like me you are in a Mac there is a work around by using a program that simulates windows on a mac. I cannot remember the names off hand but contact me if you need the name. I have it installed on my work mac and will check it. I managed to program something similar using it.

Cheers

Chilli

I just found some cheep metal gear and ball bearing  servos that should work for only $3.56 each, so ordered 4 of them to test out.

You realize you might have just started a new dance craze there Robothut, I am def. going to throw a few of those shapes next time I hit the dance floor.

Boogie Boogie!!!!! Do the Alpha bot rock.

I received the servos with metal gears and ball bearing today. They are shit, first they do not have ball bearings they have a metal sleeve and second not all the gears are metal, they hid a plastic one under the metal gears. I could live with that but they also draw more current to operate and have less power. So I will stick with the nylon gear servos that I have been using. I started the CAD lay out for the leg servo support frame and the foot. From these I will hand build parts to check that they work right then get some price quotes for these first two parts after that.

3dleftlegmount.jpg

servofootmount.jpg

OK here are the hand built leg and feet based on the CAD files. They turned out great. Nice fit, no slop. So now I need to find a laser cutting shop to do a sample run so I can check for errors.

DSC01119.jpg

DSC01120.jpg

Ok I have played around with battery placement. First I tried them in the feet then the body horizontal then the body vertical and even in the body vertical but on a servo control pendulum that would shift the battery weight from side to side to help with the leg lifting. But in the end the batterys in the body horizontal seemed best. so I designed a battery box to fit the body.

DSC01125.jpg

batterybox.jpg

Next I tried making the feet about 1/2 inch shorter and that seems OK. then I tried mounting the legt to a flat body base plate instead of the angled mount of the first concept build. The reason is programing the walking is easier if the legs are not mounted at an angle.

Here is a you tube of the current design. It is programed to walk forward then backward, with waving arms and flashing eyes then turn around. The program would repeat at that time.

I found a source for metal gear servos that are supposed to have ball bearing in them so have ordered a few to play with. hope they are better than the first ones I ordered that were crap.

https://youtu.be/tluAu8V71pk

newestservofootmount.jpg

DSC01131.jpg

Archived